ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Uniformity

  • To: Victoria McEvedy <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>, "zahid@xxxxxxxxx" <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>, Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>, "owner-gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx" <owner-gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>, gnso-osc-csg <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Uniformity
  • From: Claudio Di Gangi <cdigangi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 21:20:22 -0400

Dear SS,

I am writing this to you as our Subtask team leader.

I hope this clarifies the question you asked on the call today. I do not
consider "membership eligibility criteria" as one of the participation rules or
operating procedures categories where it makes sense to have a uniform rule in
place concerning "whom" or "what" is eligible to join a particular group. The
groups should set these rules with ICANN's approval. The GNSO is made up of a
diverse group of constituents (commercial interests, individuals,
organizations, registries, registrars, etc.)

All of these constituents are eligible to form groups and participate in the
GNSO, so having one uniform rule dealing with eligibility is inconsistent.  In
the restructured GNSO, in the contracted party house of the GNSO, groups form
and participate at the Stakeholder Group level. In the non contracting party
house, groups form and participate at the Constituency level.

Hope this was helpful. Thanks for your continued work on the draft.

Claudio