ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

[gnso-osc-csg] Re: OSC-CSG: Request

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, Victoria McEvedy <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] Re: OSC-CSG: Request
  • From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:50:17 -0700

Dear Victoria and Julie:

My apologies for not providing a response to this inquiry sooner. As much as
I'd like to simply cut and paste materials or otherwise simply add attachments
to messages, its been my recent experience with the GNSO Improvements and their
implementation that documents and actions can be misinterpreted when they are
not shared with some context or background information.  You'll note that I am
cc'ing the entire work team so that they can have the benefit of our
communication.

There is very little formal dialogue presently available to share on the new
GNSO Constituencies.  I am attaching for your review copies of emails that the
Board recently instructed the Staff to send to the four new GNSO Constituency
proponents seeking further information about their proposals.  Unfortunately,
other than the few Board Paper recommendations referenced below, there has been
little written communication on the petitions other than the proponents'
filings themselves.  Until recently, the Board has been so focused on resolving
Stakeholder Group issues and Bylaws amendments and broader issues related to
new gTLDs and IDNs, that little formal attention time has been available to
dedicate to the new Constituency petitions.

I must confess I don't understand the full context of Victoria's information
request, so I am not sure if the attachments are completely responsive or even
helpful.  In addition to the attachments, I hope the citations and links in
this note will prove useful.  As you may both appreciate, the current
application process for new GNSO Constituencies is quite different from the
existing GNSO Constituency "re-confirmation" inquiries that began earlier this
year. The two endeavors are taking place on completely different tracks and are
being considered as separate and distinct actions by the Board because one
process involves the evaluation of current practices and mechanisms employed by
existing recognized ICANN entities while the other is a process to determine
whether prospective communities should even be formally recognized as official
entities by the Board.

Both processes are outlined in separate subsections of Article X, Section 5 of
the newly amended ICANN Bylaws approved by the Board on 30 August 2009 (see -
http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-27aug09-en.htm). The criteria for
reconfirming constituencies are expressed in Article X, Section 5(3) of the
newly updated bylaws which states:

"3.   Each Stakeholder Group identified in paragraph 1 of this Section and each
of its associated Constituencies, where applicable, shall maintain recognition
with the ICANN Board.  Recognition is granted by the Board based upon the
extent to which, in fact, the entity represents the global interests of the
stakeholder communities it purports to represent and operates to the maximum
extent feasible in an open and transparent manner consistent with procedures
designed to ensure fairness.  Stakeholder Group and Constituency Charters may
be reviewed periodically as prescribed by the Board."

The process and criteria for considering and evaluating new GNSO Constituency
applications are separately set forth in Article X, Section 5(4) and Section
5(5). Those provisions state:

"4.  Any group of individuals or entities may petition the Board for
recognition as a new or separate Constituency in the Non-Contracted Parties
House.  Any such petition shall contain:
a.  A detailed explanation of why the addition of such a Constituency will
improve the ability of the GNSO to carry out its policy-development
responsibilities;
b.  A detailed explanation of why the proposed new Constituency adequately
represents, on a global basis, the stakeholders it seeks to represent;
c.  A recommendation for organizational placement within a particular
Stakeholder Group; and
d.  A proposed charter that adheres to the principles and procedures contained
in these Bylaws.

Any petition for the recognition of a new Constituency and the associated
charter shall be posted for public comment."

"5.  The Board may create new Constituencies as described in Section 5(3 ) in
response to such a petition, or on its own motion, if the Board determines that
such action would serve the purposes of ICANN.  In the event the Board is
considering acting on its own motion it shall post a detailed explanation of
why such action is necessary or desirable, set a reasonable time for public
comment, and not make a final decision on whether to create such new
Constituency until after reviewing all comments received.  Whenever the Board
posts a petition or recommendation for a new Constituency for public comment,
the Board shall notify the GNSO Council and the appropriate Stakeholder Group
affected and shall consider any response to that notification prior to taking
action."

The current petition process for potential new Constituencies was created by
the Staff at the Board's direction late last year a temporary measure. I
believe the GNSO Council Operation Work Team may ultimately produce
recommendations for a permanent new GNSO Constituency application process as
outlined in the Bylaws, but the team so far has been focusing on Council
operating procedure recommendations and other matters and has yet to address
that issue. The current process and all the community submissions regarding
those petitions, including some responses to the Board inquiries, are
associated with the GNSO Improvements Information page at this link -
http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/newco-process-en.htm.

As you both may know, until late last year there had been no formal new GNSO
Constituency requests accepted by the Board in almost a decade and the existing
proponents have all been working within the existing process at the same time
the Board and community have been struggling to define the relationship between
the new Stakeholder Group structures and the existing GNSO Constituencies. As a
result, Board members, Staff members and proponents alike have also struggled
with how to prepare, examine and evaluate the four new proposals. In formal
Board Briefing Papers, Staff has made recommendations on how the Board may wish
to proceed regarding the four pending applications, but I am not in a position
to share those materials.  It is my understanding that access to those
documents may be requested under the ICANN Accountability & Transparency
Frameworks and Principles and that Victoria has previously investigated that
process with Denise Michel on other matters.

I would be happy to talk directly with you Victoria regarding the application
of the new constituency process so far, so please feel free to suggest some
times when we may be able to discuss this matter - perhaps in a one-on-one
telephone conversation or during the next Subtask team discussion. Again my
apologies for my recent "bandwidth" limitations.  Unfortunately, I have no
expectation that those pressures will decrease for some time so I welcome your
good will in attempting to schedule any time to talk that works best for you.

Best regards,

Rob Hoggarth