ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 28 May 2010

  • To: HughesDeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 28 May 2010
  • From: Olga Cavalli <olgacavalli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 00:50:58 -0700

Dear Debbie,
see my comments to your questions included in the text below.
See you in our meetings.
Regards
Olga

2010/6/4 <HughesDeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  Thanks, Rafik.  We are ready to put substance to our outreach
> recommendations for groups and constituencies.  It would be very helpful if
> you could provide specific recommendations, suggestions and ideas related
> to:
>

> 1)        Materials and content that be used to introduce new ICANN
> participants to the nuances related to involvement in ICANN.  For example,
> Michael suggested creating an "ICANN for Dummies" workshop and related
> workshops and materials.  Do you have recommendations for
>
> a.       How the workshop should be developed and executed?

Workshops should de developed focusing on those issues that are more
relevant in relation with the context where they are organized. So in this
sense IDNs should be high priority in countries where this is needed, new
gtlds general information could be useful in developing countries, etc.
As I have mentioned before, a closer and permanent relationship with
universities must be developed, specially in developing countries. For
example I teach in engineering schools where they have no idea about the
existence of ICANN, root servers and general Internet coordination, so this
permanent relationship must be developed in order to establish a permanent
flow of information between ICANN and the professorships. This will also
help the development of teaching material and content in several languages
and also will help developing a local vision of the different topics.

b.       What the workshop materials should contain?

This was answered in my previous answer.

> 2)        Do you have specific recommendations for ways to define
> underrepresented populations and to identify populations that should be
> targeted by our outreach efforts?
>
> 3)        Do you have ideas and strategies that should be employed in the
> outreach process/plan?  Are there specific concerns with outreach in certain
> countries/regions (such as advice you provided related to outreach in
> certain area because of tension with governments)?  If so, how should ICANN
> manage those?

ICANN shoud strongly partner some very successful and pioneer projects that
are happening now in some regions.
I want to specially mention one of them that I lead in Latin America, thanks
Rafik for pointing this, which is the South School on Internet Governance.
With the help of some companies and organizations that contribute to a
fellowship program several students and young profesionals from the Latin
American Region are granted a fellowship to participate in a one week
intensive training program where they meet aprox 25 speciallist from Europe,
USA, Latin America and from the hosting country.
The first SSIG was organized in Buenos Aires Argentina in 2009 (in the ITBA
UNiversity an engineering school) and the second was organized in Sao Paulo
Brazil.
ICANN particpated making a presentation.
Their role should be much more active and they should engage more of their
key representatives in the program. We as organizers are much open to this.
General purpose, program and other details of the SSIG can be found in
www.south-ssig.com.ar

> 4)        Do you have suggestions related to groups already existing
> within ICANN (like ICANN's Global Partnerships group) that are interested
> in outreach activities that should be or would be interested in ICANN’s
> outreach plans and the deliverables of our work?

I would like to mention that in relation with Latin America, ICANN outreach
activity is mainly focused  in the support of ccTLD training programs and
events, which is very good but much limited from a broader perspective.
I think that ICANN involvement should be more open including other issues,
being active in other events and activities that are also relevant to the
region.

> 5)        Do you have any suggestions or thoughts about the creation of an
> Outreach Committee?  Is it a good idea?  If so, who should be their
> direction, composition, etc.

I think it is a very good idea, there is a lot of experience among many
members of the ICANN community that could be used in developing an outreach
strategy.