ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] ACTION REQUESTED: Task 2 Outreach Document for Review

  • To: "'Gomes, Chuck'" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Olga Cavalli <olgacavalli@xxxxxxxxx>, OSC-CSG Work Team <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] ACTION REQUESTED: Task 2 Outreach Document for Review
  • From: Claudio Di Gangi <cdigangi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:53:34 -0400

Congratulations to the subgroup for producing this document. I will try to make
the call on Friday, but may not be able to join due to a reoccurring conflict
at that time.

While I think there some good ideas in this paper, I have concerns with forming
another committee as a "centralized authority in the GNSO" (page 4), especially
one chosen solely by the Board Public Participation Committee (page 5).
Instead, my recommendation is that enhanced outreach efforts should build on
what constituencies and stakeholder groups are already doing and channel
outreach efforts through those groups to a considerable degree.  If such a
committee is to be formed as part of the effort, it should be
recruited/selected at the GNSO level and should have a finite life span (sunset
date) unless extended.

The first goal of this effort should be to establish a baseline of what
outreach efforts are currently being undertaken.  Otherwise, duplication and a
lack of coordination are inevitable.

For instance see page 3 with reference to IGF attendance statistics.  What are
the comparable statistics for ICANN?

A number of the proposals seem to be about ICANN outreach generally and are not
focused on the GNSO.  See, for example, the discussion of universities at the
bottom of page 3.  See also bottom of page 8 (how does inviting entities to
events further outreach if those entities are not even "GNSO stakeholders"?).

Can the subgroup clarify what is the justification for additional outreach
efforts to GNSO registries and registrars?  If these entities do not already
understand the strong economic incentives for participation in the organization
that makes their businesses possible (through accreditation of registrars,
delegation to registries), then further outreach efforts will be fruitless.

The proposal does not recognize that engaging new players through an outreach
effort will be pointless and counter-productive unless those players can have
some confidence that, if they participate, their voices will be heard.  In
other words, the committee's focus should be on outreach and empowerment, not
outreach alone.  (In this regard, an effective contract compliance program, in
which the complaints of non-contracted parties are promptly and effectively
acted upon, will be an important element of any outreach strategy.)

Finally, as I understand the current climate of fiscal austerity within ICANN,
it would be helpful for proposals for increased resources for outreach to be
matched with proposals for which programs should receive reduced resources.

claudio