ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Reference for Draft SOI/DOI Procedures

  • To: <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Reference for Draft SOI/DOI Procedures
  • From: "Julie Hedlund" <jahedlund@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:22:29 -0400

Work Team Members,

In the suggested draft of the SOI/DOI procedures, there is a reference to
"interested persons" as referenced in Section 5227 of the California
Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law ("CNPBCL").  This language was
taken from the ICANN Bylaws with respect to conflicts of interest for Board
directors.  We had, until now, been unable to find the specific language
inthe law describing "interested persons" so we left a place holder in the
document for it.  However, we now have found the language in the California
Corporations Code and have inserted it into a revised version of the
document (attached) and linked on the Wiki in the list of action items at:
https://st.icann.org/icann-osc/index.cgi?gnso_operations_team

Here also is the language for your reference (below).

Thank you.

Julie

5227.  (a) Any other provision of this part notwithstanding, not more than
49 percent of the persons serving on the board of any corporation may be
interested persons.  (b) For the purpose of this section, "interested
persons" means either:   (1) Any person currently being compensated by the
corporation for services rendered to it within the previous 12 months,
whether as a full- or part-time employee, independent contractor, or
otherwise, excluding any reasonable compensation paid to a director as
director; or  (2) Any brother, sister, ancestor, descendant, spouse,
brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law,
or father-in-law of any such person.   (c) A person with standing under
Section 5142 may bring an action to correct any violation of this section.
The court may enter any order which shall provide an equitable and fair
remedy to the corporation, including, but not limited to, an order for the
election of additional directors, an order to enlarge the size of the board,
or an order for the removal of directors.   (d) The provisions of this
section shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any transaction
entered into by a corporation.