ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Action Item: GNSO Ops Work Team First Draft GNSO Proposal

  • To: jahedlund@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Action Item: GNSO Ops Work Team First Draft GNSO Proposal
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:07:44 -0400

Julie,

Since I'm tasked with representing the interests of the City TLD group, to use Robert's term, which is a potential new constituency, but not presently a constituency, the entity reference isn't what concerns me. Rather, it is the possibly counter-productive over-specification of the composition of the entity or sub-group, I'll call it a set, to "... officers (representatives) of the different constituencies designated/elected specifically for this purpose." This is followed by a reference to what is presumably a proper subset of this set, which of necessity shares this possibly counter-productive over-specification.

Which is a long-worded observation that whomever is tasked to contribute to the OSC on behalf of things that aren't yet constituencies will not be able to contribute to OWT and its sub-sets, whether sub-entities or sub-groups.

Now, as the purpose of the proposed OWT is administrative, not policy development, in nature, and while any restriction on the composition of an OWT is within the scope of the proponents of the formation of an OWT, it seems reasonable to ask what particular purpose this particular restriction on composition serves.

Obviously I can't think of a purpose, but other than the Sundy work period in Mexico City, I haven't until this week been tracking OSC Ops list or call discussion, and if the subject was discussed yesterday at the 1500GMT call time, I'm sorry my CORE staff call time conflicted, and I've not yet listened to the audio, so I could be completely mistaken.

Eric

Julie Hedlund wrote:
Dear Work Team members,
In response to the following action item: *1. High-level operating principles: Julie Hedlund will prepare an executive summary of Ron Andruff's recommendations, circulate it to Ron for comment, and then to the Work Team for consideration.* I have prepared the attached draft document, which Ron has reviewed, for your consideration. It also is posted on the wiki main page: https://st.icann.org/icann-osc/index.cgi?gnso_operations_team. Comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome. Also, please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. Best regards, Julie Julie Hedlund
Policy Consultant