ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Operations Work Team Draft Charter

  • To: "'GNSO Ops Work Team'" <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Operations Work Team Draft Charter
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:15:36 -0400

Eric,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.  I am responding to two in
particular.

The first point speaks to: To be consistent with this Reform, the Draft must
find one or more means to extend the standing to participate, to entities
other than Constituencies. Whether this standing to participate is extended
to individuals by invitation or by self-selection, to the appointees of
theNomCom, to stakeholders such as the USG or the IETF, to groups such as
the City TLD group which seek Constituency status, or to the entities
created in the Reform process, such as the OSC to determine independently,
is immaterial. To do otherwise re-arranges the chairs, and the locii of
policy formation, but does not alter the voting calculus based upon seats
held by any useful means, and therefore affects no substantive reform.

There are two issues here: The issue of extending standing to entities other
than constituencies; the second, the issue of voting.  Regarding ?standing?
we are referring in the draft proposal to only those bodies that have
current standing with ICANN and are part of the GNSO.  Neither the USG, IETF
or ?City TLDs seeking constituency status? are part of the ?BGC reformed?
GNSO.  With the exception of the wannabe City TLD, the other organizations
have their own places within the ICANN structure.   The WT?s job is not to
consider how to expand the number of entities that can join the GNSO, rather
to deliver high level principles that will guide the operations of the
reformed GNSO.  The appropriate place for the City TLD in waiting, is as an
observer within the Registry Stakeholder Group, i.e. birds of a feather
belong together.

Once a new constituency has been approved by the GNSO and has received Board
recognition, it will then ? and only then ? have standing to lay claim to a
seat at the Policy Council table. Until then, the members of any wannabe
constituency should participate in the ICANN process as the rest of us do,
i.e. through an existing constituency (or for those who prefer, ?stakeholder
group?) that most aligns with their raison d? etre.

Now, when the time comes that we have new constituencies ? which in actual
fact will not be ?constituencies? as much as ?participants within a
particular stakeholder group? ? it will be up to that particular stakeholder
group to determine how they will a lot the number votes that their Policy
Councilors will have at Council level.  Or it could possibly by the type of
work that the Policy Council could scope and then manage a Working Group
tasked to resolve the issue.  Once that work has been done, the Council will
vote on the recommendations, as anticipated in the BGC recommendations.
That is to say, the voting aspect is hoped to be significantly diminished as
a result of the consensus process developed at the Working Group level.  The
proof will be in the pudding, as they say.  No one knows today what the
voting element will look like until we have seen the reformed system in
action.

In short, contrary to your assertion, I believe that the reform we are
addressing is considerably more than re-arranging the chairs even though it
may appear that way at first glance.

Addressing the second issue, i.e. use of labels (constituency or stakeholder
group, or defining a new term), the WT has added two footnotes to the three
page document to clarify that we are using "old" terms simply for the
purpose of clarity for the readers.  In my view, trying to use "new" terms,
when the majority of the community is still wrestling with their own
personal definitions of what those may be, would be antithetical to our
goal.

In conclusion, the objective of the propose draft document ? to be clear ?
is simply to ask the community to give our WT guidance by providing feedback
to the direction we are taking vis-à-vis bifurcating the GNSO leadership
into three bodies within a reformed GNSO.  We have referred to this as
putting up a "kite" to see which direction the larger community takes it so
that, in turn, the WT can determine which direction our work should go to
complete this task.  For this reason, I am recommending that we end the
wordsmithing now and get the proposal out to the community as agreed on our
last call so that we can take the appropriate steps.

Finally, as point of order, I would request that the Chair initiate a
dialogue with the Work Team to clarify some rules of conduct regarding
sending out documents that are in development to others outside the WT, as
just occurred with Eric?s post and Dirk Krischenowski | dotBERLIN,.  I am
concerned about sub-dialogues arising outside of the WT about topics that
have yet to be completely clarified within the WT, and which ultimately
could detrimentally impact the very work we are trying to accomplish.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff