ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Operations Work Team Draft Charter

  • To: Ray Fassett <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Operations Work Team Draft Charter
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:35:03 -0500

Ray,

I've written the following to put my prior oral and informal written comment on the record, in what I hope is intelligible form.

Eric

As a preamble to my comments on the Draft Proposal for GNSO Organizational Structure, implementing the ICANN Board Recommendation that the steps needed to establish the GNSO Council as a "strategic manager of the policy process" be identified, I wish to point out that I participate in the Operations Work Team (OWT), within the Operations Steering Committee (OSC), on behalf of the City TLD group, which seeks standing as a Constituency, at the invitation of Rob Hoggarth, ICANN staff, arising from action item #3 of the 27 March 2009 meeting of the Constituency Operations Team, chaired by NomCom appointee Olga Cavalli.

I am employed by CORE, which has an interest in one or more applications for City TLDs, but I participate in the OSC and its dependent groups not as an employee, nor as an individual, self-appointed or appointed by the NomCom, but as the tasked liaison from an interest group, self-governing urban aggregations applying for gTLDs, and co-incident to that, seeking standing as a Constituency within the reforming GNSO Organizational Structure.

That concludes my preamble.

The Draft Proposal for GNSO Organizational Structure, "the Draft" hereafter, arises from the Board decision taken at Paris to enact the reform proposal, which has the goal of transforming the Council from a legislative body to a management body, with the policy making moved into working groups. Nominally, this change of locus of the highly contentious area of policy making from a deadlocked Council, see the WHOIS problem area as an example, to working groups will make seats and votes and voting blocks less important than it has been during the life of the GNSO, and the DNSO before that.

As a matter of policy, as the Reform attempts to reduce the incentives for Constituencies to view policy through the restrictive lenses of seat counts and therefore votes and voting blocks, which has, in my personal opinion, reduced two of the original Constituencies to fictions, a view supported by the voting analysis data also presented at the Paris meeting. To be consistent with this Reform, the Draft must find one or more means to extend the standing to participate, to entities other than Constituencies. Whether this standing to participate is extended to individuals by invitation or by self-selection, to the appointees of theNomCom, to stakeholders such as the USG or the IETF, to groups such as the City TLD group which seek Constituency status, or to the entities created in the Reform process, such as the OSC to determine independently, is immaterial. To do otherwise re-arranges the chairs, and the locii of policy formation, but does not alter the voting calculus based upon seats held by any useful means, and therefore affects no substantive reform.

The Draft relies upon Constituency as standing to select individuals to contribute to bodies. The phrasing is "in representation of their respective constituency", Purpose, sentence one, and "comprised of officers (representatives) of the different constituencies", Description, para 2, final sentence. Note that the second instance is specifically for a function which is envisioned is administrative, where no cynical and ultimately dysfunctional vote calculus to obtain a policy outcome is useful.

The taxonomy which the Draft proposes, "Policy Councilors" and "Constituency Representatives" and "Executive Committee", all exist within the pre-Reform model of Constituencies. At no point does the taxonomy of the Draft stray from within the familiar boundaries of Constituencies and their liaisons. This presents two issues, at least in theory. At the Council level, and in all subordinate GNSO bodies, under this construction of "Reform", groups which have not yet obtained Constituency status have no means of organic participation -- that is the "leading edge" of the "sharp standing" problem. The "trailing edge" is that when any group loses Constituency status, an event I personally think is long overdue in two specific instances, the "BC" and the "ISPC", it must also lose all means of organic participation. If time, talent and interest were as plentiful as green house gases, the exclusion of capable persons, and the Draft does speak to the problem of selecting "appropriate individuals ... on the basis of their particular skill sets to serve on independent bodies", would not be problematic. However, this is not the case, and the intentional exclusion of qualified individual contributors, from pending Constituencies, and former Constituencies, just to restrict the scope of the "standing" problem to the edges of the Constituency model, where we can trivially identify useful people, is unfortunate, and contrary to the basic tenants of the Reform.

As a personal observation, the point of the Reform is not to simply change the labels on boxes or re-arrange seats at the table. It is to fundamentally change the nature and process of the Council, from making policy, and hoping someone somewhere is managing something, to managing something, in particular, working groups, with those working groups making policy. We're not really progressing towards that goal if all of the "reformed process" retains the determining characteristic of the pre-reformed process, and standing to contribute to purely administrative, that is, management tasks, is conditioned upon the fundamental criteria for policy making -- Constituency status, seats, and the unchanged vote calculus.

Eric Brunner-Williams
for the City Top-Level Domain Interest Group, the proposed City Top-Level-Domain Constituency (CTLDC)