ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] RE: GCOT Task

  • To: "'Gomes, Chuck'" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] RE: GCOT Task
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 00:58:25 -0400

Thanks Chuck, I've cc'd our Work Team as well.  I am familiar with the
background on this one.I think this issue falls in our camp to discuss
within Rules of Procedure.

For those in our Work Team not familiar, the issue here is that on some
occasions the GNSO Council needs to communicate with other support
organizations, such as it did recently based upon a GAC request cited below.
Some felt that any sort of formal communication from the Council needs to be
at a minimum presented to the constituencies for review.in other words,
concern the Council is, or perhaps perceived, to be acting on its own or
acting on behalf of Constituencies without asking for input.  Reasonably
speaking, there are times the Council is in a position of having to make a
communication, sometimes in a short time frame to be responsive, sometimes
simply stating a position that has already been vetted.  So the question
becomes:  Under what conditions is it appropriate for Council to distribute
formal communications on behalf of the Council representing constituency
interests.  This is the overview of the issue.something for us to discuss.

Ray

  _____