ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] meaning of 'in the lead' was Re: ACTIONS/SUMMARY: ...

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] meaning of 'in the lead' was Re: ACTIONS/SUMMARY: ...
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 23:11:31 +0200

On 2 Sep 2009, at 22:33, Julie Hedlund wrote:

1. GNSO Council Rules of Procedure: Review Sections beginning with 5.2 to the end of the document. See attachment. Julie will get clarification on suggested language to define the term “leading” in the context of Section 4.1 Selection of the Council Chair.

On this one, I know, I would be much more comfortable with a dialogue on the list as to what 'in the lead' means then a dialogue among the staff that we are not party to. I totally accept Julie coming up with a suggestion as was asked in the meeting, but would prefer that any dialog, including the participation of other Policy Staff, be transparent if at all possible. Obviously people, including Julie, will talk to whomever they wish, but formalizing a request for staff consultation is what strikes me as non-transparent.

One thing I did fully understand during the meeting was why 'in the lead' had to mean in both houses. i guess i do not see the danger of one house having a clear advantage for the following reasons:

- by dealing with percentages in the houses, we effectively equalize the influence of the house's votes. using percentages is a normalization. - by requiring a positive outcome of 60% in each house for election of the chair, having an advantage in just one house in the previous ballot does not translate into an automatic victory in the runoff - as long as the 'non of the above' option remains active in all ballots, it becomes impossible for one house to force its will on another. just because there is only one candidate left, it does not mean that candidate will take the election. people have to actually vote for her.

Assuming this reasoning is acceptable to others and we do move to a notion of 'is in the lead' meaning an overall percentage lead, i think the simplest result would be to do it mathematically. The set of possible results is not very large and i guess that either a formula or a table could be generated that clearly shows the leads.

since i tend to think in terms of formulae and models one that i think works for me takes its basis from the notion of proof in whiskey (i like whiskey and hence use it as opposed to some other alcohol)

200 proof = 100% alcohol

if we take 100% of both houses, we get to 200 proof

assuming that using percentage equalizes the influence of the houses then
assume house A and B with two candidates x and y

 A                    B
x    y             x   y

73 30 30 70 = 100/100 hence a tie and we go into election timeout 60 40 40 40 = 100/80 x is in the lead - x versus 'non of the above' 50 50 40 60 = 90/110 y is in the lead - y versus 'none of the above'

etc...

(the same formula works for candidates > 2 )

i.e. whoever has the highest Proof is in the lead.
does not _ win_ unless both houses meet the threshold, but the lead is clear.

thanks for reading

a.