ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] FW: Conflicts of Interest and Proxy Voting - UPDATE

  • To: <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Conflicts of Interest and Proxy Voting - UPDATE
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:03:09 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Bour [mailto:ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:44 PM
To: 'Ray Fassett'
Cc: 'Robert Hoggarth'; 'Julie Hedlund'
Subject: Conflicts of Interest and Proxy Voting - UPDATE

Hi Ray:

I just wanted you to know that it is unlikely that we'll have any new
information from ICANN's Legal Department relative to our
COI/Proxy/Absentions questions.  We were admittedly late in getting the
material to them, but it is now in their hands.  Unfortunately, due to other
pressing priorities, they have not had time to engage on it just yet as we
had hoped.

There is some new and, I think, bullish information that I want to share
with you and, hopefully, the larger team tomorrow -- at your discretion.

Since our last session, I located a 2007 document, authored by Liz Gasster
and Dan Halloran (from Legal), that actually discusses the entire subject of
"proxy" voting.  I know that we were talking about vote "transfers" using
"alternates"; but, the way we are actually describing the process, it is
really "proxy" in a thinly veiled disguise.  Also, "alternate" voting cannot
work in the GNSO due to certain Bylaws requirements (e.g. no one other than
a Councilor is permitted to vote).  An "alternate" who is a Councilor is
nothing more or less than a "proxy."

If you will accept, for the moment, that what we are really asking for is,
in effect, proxy voting, it's still not gloomy news.  The 2007 document
referenced above does not actually conclude that proxies are illegal or even
ill advised.  It only lays out certain conditions and requirements that must
be met.  After going through that paper carefully, I think we meet them all
(or can -- see att'd).

Given my renewed optimism, I took a shot at rewriting sections of the draft
procedures to shore up a few areas mentioned in the 2007 document (attached
as well -- redlined from our previous version so that you can see what new
changes were made).

Although it is a long shot that we will have a directional indication from
Legal by our meeting start, there is this new information that we could
discuss to bring the team up-to-date.  On the other hand, if you think best
at this stage, we could postpone the session or use the time for other GCOT
matters.

Thoughts?

Ken Bour