ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] ACTIONS/SUMMARY: GNSO Council Operations Work Team 16 December Meeting

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] ACTIONS/SUMMARY: GNSO Council Operations Work Team 16 December Meeting
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:47:29 -0800

Dear Work Team members,

Here are the action items and discussion summary from today's meeting.  Please
let me know if you have any changes.  These also are posted on our wiki at:
https://st.icann.org/icann-osc/index.cgi?gnso_operations_team.  In addition,
attached in .doc and .pdf is the draft Statement of Interest/Declaration of
Interest document with suggested edits by ICANN Legal staff for consideration
and discussion at our next meeting on Wednesday, 30 December.

Thank you very much and I wish all of you a very happy holiday!

Best regards,

Julie

Action Items:
1. Ken Bour will revise his draft document "GNSO Ops Procedures-COI & Proxy
Voting-REVISED REDLINE (KBv1).doc" to include language to make material
conflicts of interest broader than for financial or economic reasons. He also
will follow up with ICANN Legal staff on their comments on the draft.
2. The Work Team will consider the draft of the Statement of
Interest/Declaration of Internet document with comments from ICANN Legal staff
for discussion at the next meeting. (See attached document.)

Discussion Summary:
The Work Team continued discussion on abstentions and, in particular, the issue
of when abstentions are allowed, what is a material conflict of interest, and
when would an abstention warrant a change in the denominator in the case of a
vote. The Work Team also discussed the issue of proxy voting and determined
that it may be possible to include in its recommendations procedures for when
proxy voting may be allowed. The discussion centered on the definition of a
material conflict of interest and whether the examples in the draft document
circulated by Ken Bour (see above) were too narrow as they only addressed
economic or financial conflicts. Work Team members agreed that there could be
other reasons for a material conflict of interest. Ray asked Ken to adjust the
language in the draft document to broaden the definition and possibly include
further examples. Ken agreed to try to provide a revised draft prior to the
meeting on 30 December and also to follow up with ICANN Legal staff on their
comments.