ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] GCOT Documents: Voting, Term Limits, and Absences

  • To: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] GCOT Documents: Voting, Term Limits, and Absences
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:30:57 -0400

Wolf-Ulrich, Ken, and GCOT Members:

I think I understand the objection raised by Wolf and seconded by Ken.
Based upon feedback that I received from other Council Members, there may be
circumstances when absentee voting is not appropriate and we might want to
provide an option to handle such conditions -- even if rare.   Suppose we
try restructuring the language so that the default condition is that
absentee voting is allowed except in a rare circumstance, which would then
require the agreement of the Chair and all Vice-Chairs present.  See new
version of 4.4.1 below (the others are presented for context).

4.4.1  Council Members who are absent from a meeting at the time of a vote
will be extended the opportunity to cast a ballot using alternative means
(see 4.4.3) except in a rare circumstance when its use is deemed
inappropriate.   If such an inappropriate circumstance arises, the rationale
for suspending absentee balloting must be announced in advance of the vote
by the Chair and any decision to suspend requires verbal confirmation by all
Vice-Chairs present.  In such a circumstance(s), and only for the affected
vote(s), absentee voting will be temporarily disallowed.

4.4.2  Absentee votes must be submitted within the announced time limit,
which shall be seventy-two (72) hours from the meeting?s adjournment.  In
exceptional circumstances, announced at the time of the vote, the Chair may
reduce this time to twenty-four (24) hours or extend the time to a maximum
of seven (7) calendar days, provided such amendment is verbally confirmed by
all Vice-Chairs present.

4.4.3  The GNSO Secretariat will administer, record, and tabulate absentee
votes according to these procedures and will provide reasonable means for
transmitting and authenticating absentee ballots, which could include
telephone, e- mail, web-based interface, or other technologies as may become
available.

The above solution is much more in keeping with my original reason for
recommending an alteration to this section of the GOP and I thank Wolf and
Ken for raising their concerns.

Does it satisfactorily resolve the essence of the objections?

Ken Bour