ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] Re: GCOT Documents: Voting, Term Limits, and Absences

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "'gnso-osc-ops'" <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] Re: GCOT Documents: Voting, Term Limits, and Absences
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:19:47 -0400

Avri & GCOT Members:

I have to agree with you in part.  I erred in using the word "must" in my
hypothetical example.  I did not mean to imply that this type of abstention
would be "obligatory."   I should have written, "I cannot attend and,
because there is no standard option to vote using alternative means, I elect
(volitional) to abstain so that my SG/C will not lose its opportunity to
vote on the matter at issue."  Once the abstention is announced, per Section
4.5, the SG/C would then have the ability to exercise a remedy, e.g. Proxy
or Temporary Alternate (Voting Direction will not apply in this instance).

It still seems less administratively complex to permit absentee voting --
perhaps with a shorter time allowance -- than engendering a new class of
abstentions caused by incidental absence.

Ken Bour