ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Revised Section 3.8 and Chapter 4.0

  • To: "'Ken Bour'" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Revised Section 3.8 and Chapter 4.0
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:47:01 -0400

Dear all,

I accept the modifications in Section 3.8 in total.

I accept the modifications in Section 4.0, with the following responses to
Ken's comments:

*       Re: 4.5.3. c, i [Comment KAB2], specifically   limit a SG in
choosing a TA from within its organization (i.e. bonafide member)  I feel
the TA must be a bonafide member of the SG.  If an SG feels that it needs to
take expert advice on a matter before the GNSO, it should do so and then
instruct its TA member on how to vote.

*       Re: 4.5.3. c, i [Comment KAB3], specifically   We probably don't
want the TA remedy to become a 'back door' for an otherwise term-limited
Councilor to reappear at Council meetings as a substitute voter.  Unless
GCOT thinks it should undertake a new task to draft broader GNSO Council
membership criteria, I recommend at least highlighting "Term Limits" to
avoid potential confusion.  I agree that we do not want to leave a loophole
that someone will surely try to take advantage of sooner or later.  One
thing that has been lacking in ICANN for the past 10-years, but has improved
somewhat in the last few, is having 'fresh faces' replace those who have
'squatted' on the GNSO council for too many years.  For this reason, I feel
strongly that a former councilor who was term limited out of the council
should be excluded from serving as a TA.  Having said that, if the Work Team
feels that (1) the term limited ex-councilor would be more capable to get
up-to-speed on an issue more quickly than another member; or (2) the
likelihood of an ex-councilor TA having an SOI and bio already on file with
ICANN, meaning one less issue to be addressed, I would concede my stated
position to agree to allow a term-limited councilor being put forward as a
TA.

As for highlighting "Term Limits", I agree with Ken's recommendation.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff

President