ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] Voting Remedy Procedures

  • To: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] Voting Remedy Procedures
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 09:54:02 -0400

GCOT Members:

With respect to Wolf-Ulrich?s questions below, I just want to clarify a
couple of points:

1)      As I read Rob Hoggarth?s message to Tim Ruiz yesterday, he did not
state that abstentions are not be permitted without going through a SG/C
consultation process.   His comment applied only to the exercise of a voting
remedy (proxy), not the abstention itself.   Whether an abstention can be
registered by a Councilor without a SG/C?s prior approval depends entirely
on that organization?s internal rules as reflected in its charter.   I
happen to be aware that some charters are being re-drafted to require
Councilors to provide advance notice precisely so that a voting remedy may
be exercised (see point 2 below).   As these changes take effect, there may
come a time when abstentions and planned absences always require
pre-approval and consultation with SG/Cs.   As we know, any abstention or
absence that is unremedied is treated as an effective ?No? vote based on the
fact that the denominators never change.

2)      According to the new abstention procedures (see Section 4.5), to
effect any voting remedy (e.g. voting direction, proxy, and temporary
alternate) requires two steps that must be completed BEFORE the Council
meeting at which the remedy will be exercised (see 4.5.4):

a.      The Councilor must notify his/her SG/C of the circumstances leading
to a declared abstention including such important information as the Council
meeting date, affected motions, etc. (see 4.5.4-a); and

b.      A SG/C officer must provide an official communication to the
Secretariat indicating what remedy is being applied (see Section 4.5.4-b).
Also, as Chuck pointed out, for two of the remedies (voting direction and
proxy), the SG/C must affirm that it has established a voting position on
the matter at issue.   [Note:  as you may recall, the principle governing
this provision is that the SG/C owns the vote, not the individual Councilor.
If the Councilor is unable to exercise a vote, his/her organization has the
responsibility to determine whether a remedy should be invoked and, if so,
which one].

Team members may not be aware that Staff has created and published two new
tools to assist in executing the above procedures:

1)      Sample emails (covering various circumstances) have been developed
to handle 2-a above (see
http://gnso.icann.org/council/visual-procedures-map-en.htm).

2)      An online notification form is now available to permit SG/Cs to
officially communicate their intention to remedy an abstention (see
http://gnso.icann.org/council/abstention-notification-form-en.htm).

The GNSO Operating Procedures and the above tools are accessible at:
http://gnso.icann.org/council/docs.html

Staff has made all SG/Cs aware that we are happy to walk organizations
through the visual map and online form so that everyone is comfortable with
the new voting remedy procedures.   So far, the Registries SG has taken
Staff up on its offer.

I look forward to further discussion on this timely topic.

Ken Bour