ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] Re: Forms and Voting Remedy Procedures

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] Re: Forms and Voting Remedy Procedures
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:03:08 +0300

Dear Rob,

Thank you the extended explanation.

There was a time when I might have agreed about the utility of forms. Recent
experience with some forms in ICANN has made me wary of forms that are produced
by staff and then imposed on the volunteers.

I agree that SOI/DOI should be readily findable and that it should be possible
for a volunteer to maintain a single SOI/DOI across all WGs. I have been asking
that something be done about this for over a year.  I do not agree that people
should have to fill in a form.  I think it is good that form be available, but
I also think that people should be able to upload their own file instead should
they wish too.  I also believe that if there is a form, it should be editable
by the volunteer, so that when conditions change they don not need to submit a
new form.  And if there is a form, it must not be something that the Staff does
without any oversight or community review or some analysis of it usability.

On the council voting forms, I tried to do the form you provided and I found
confusing.  Considering I was part of the group that created these gothic
rules, that is a warning - either we blew it with the rules, or the form was
not useable - or maybe both.  I understand that I sometimes have a simple
minded understanding of things, but there were parts of that form that confused
me.  I do compliment you on the format of the output of the form, it is much
better than some of my other recent experiences with ICANN forms.

I also believe that going into a meeting or at the start of the meeting (e.g.
before or even during the taking of attendance), the council members or the SG
chair, should be able inform the chair and the secretariat that a substitution
is being made. I.e. Before the meeting, might be right before the meeting.

It seems that if not the rules, then the implementation of the rules is
becoming something that makes the jobs of the volunteers more difficult.  And
while it is all well and good to make the jobs of the staff easier, this cannot
be done by processing the volunteers as if we were cattle.

a.

Ps. No need to answer my email by sending me a specific copy of the email. It
might be a good habit to learn to trim the headers to just the list.  I don't
know if this bit of netiquette is part of the ICANN practice for staff, but I
recommend it.