ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call

  • To: Ray Fassett <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:19:06 -0400

Ray,

I'd like to follow-up on the discussion of the source of the SOI, and therefore the form, and language of the SOI.

Ron made the point that English is required, for Air Traffic Control.

Robert, in commenting as Staff, discussed the cost and complexity of delivery of translations into all six UN languages.

I think the problem is much smaller. If a volunteer can originate a SOI text in a language other than English, then the full-disclosure cost into Ron's model is the translation cost of one SOI from X to English.

Why is this, accommodation of SOI submissions, if any, in languages other than English?

Because the ability to listen and read in a foreign language is almost always greater than the ability to speak and write. Receptive language skills are almost always greater than active language skills.

A volunteer who is more comfortable in disclosing the subtleties of her or his interests in a language other than English should be able to do so. We should not encourage accidental, or intentional ellipsis of actual interests by volunteers through a "English Only" requirement that lacks the temporal necessity and dramatic consequences of error that attend Air Traffic Control.

At some point policy on some subject will be developed by a body of volunteers all of whom share a first, and second language which is not English. It will be absurd to insist that the only language of policy development permissible, globally, is English. Translation from the language other than English will be necessary, and the SOIs of volunteers is about as central to this participatory activity as any.

Thank you for your patience and time.

Eric