ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call

  • To: "'Eric Brunner-Williams'" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:54:36 -0400

Eric, your arguments are valid to me.  However, issues relative to resource
allocation by ICANN staff are best addressed through its FY operating plan
and budget process.  With this said, I believe it could be constructive,
assuming WT agreement, to state as a recommendation from this WT that
ICANN's operating plan should consider and dedicate the necessary resources
for language translation in support of GNSO policy such as, for example,
accepting SOI forms in languages other than English as well as cross
translation services.  I don't think we are getting resistance from staff as
to the vision of this (in fact, I think the contrary is more truthful).  At
the same time, I accept as substantive feedback that if the resource
allocation does not exist today, then our submitting as a near term
recommendation for it, with the RoP as our vehicle for doing so, is not
going to be realistic and likely not accepted by our wider peers as
legitimate.  The legitimacy of WT output is a responsibility I have serving
as your chair.  How  it is we seek to influence resource allocation by staff
through the RoP, outside of the FY operating plan process, is a concern that
I have and one that I have shared.

Thoughts welcome.

Ray