ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 07:44:58 +0300

Hi,

I tend to agree with both of you on this one.

I think Eric is absolutely right.  Whether it is in the UN 6, or some other
language/script set that is more appropriate for ICANN,
there should be multilingual services for SOI/DOI.

And yes, we need budget in order to get that done.  The budget battle is coming
soon, but that will be in venue other than this WT.

One thing this WT can do, however, is make a recommendation on multilingualism
in the GNSO OPs.  and perhaps it is not only SOI/DOI that need to be translated.

There is an issue of horse and cart on this issue.  If there is no call for
translation in the Council's Operating procedures, there is no chance of
winning the budget battle.

Yes, getting the current council to accept multilingualism may be a challenge.
In fact getting this WT to accept multilingualism may be a challenge.  But if
we think it is important, it should certainly be proposed and discussed.

Seems to me this might be another equality/parity issue, I am willing to
support it and maybe even argue for it.

a.