ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Conflicting Language on Staff Roles

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Conflicting Language on Staff Roles
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:45:59 -0400

Hi,

Not sure I see the contradiction in any of this.

Though the expertise issue, is certainly one that prompts me to argue that in
their role as expert, it is important to know of any competing interests.  I..e
not that this happened, but if someone was chair of the IETF WG on IDN TLD
synchronization (no such group, but it would be a volunteer position) then
their participation in an ICANN IDN policy group as a staff member should
include mention of that other, volunteer, role, i.e an SOI/DOI.

And of course nothing in this email indicates a change on my position that the
ICANN Staff, although their roles and responsibilities as staff participants
are different than other participant's roles and responsibilities, are
participants and should be subject to the same rules as other participants.

During today's meeting, the possibility was mentioned that there might be a
legal reason for insisting on an exception for staff.. But a legal reason was
never presented.

a.