ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Conflicting Language on Staff Roles

  • To: Ray Fassett <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Conflicting Language on Staff Roles
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:59:06 -0400

Ray,

To follow up on my oral comments on the importance of keeping staff from becoming participants ...

An example.

During the course of the FastFlux WG, before the initial Chair, Mikey O'Conner decided for reasons of his own to end his involvement, and before I too, decided, for reasons of my own, to end my involvement, and prior to the point in time when Avri became the interim or acting Chair * , there was a recommendation made by a participant, who incidentally was the GNSO Council's Liaison, and who, for reasons of his own, regularly reported to the Council that no process problems existed in the conduct of the Working Group ** , THAT ALL REGISTRARS BE REQUIRED TO STAFF THEIR OPERATIONS 24/7/365.

The policy was a recommendation to change the Registrar Accreditation Agreement. It was understood by all the Working Group participants to have cost consequences highly adverse to almost all non-shell, and non-highly automated registrars. The rational for the 24/7/365 proposal was that bag guys worked all hours, therefore registars had to staff their operations with staff sufficiently sophisticated to correctly, and without liability, performing takedown requests, 24/7/365.

The ICANN Staffer assigned in a support function to the Fast Flux PDP Working Group and styled as a security expert joined the GNSO Council Liaison in vigorous advocacy of this proposal.

Overlooking the issues that the RAA does not require registrars to accept credit cards, and therefore the fraud risk of the credit card industry, fraudulent registrations for the purposes of creating Fast Flux Hosting Systems (FFHS) or individual resources for FFHS, and the RAA does not require registrars to provide a web with automated domain creation or NS record modification capabilities (or the same functional capabilities through automated email, or other means), and the tremendous correlation of FFHS registrations and specific registrars, the ICANN Staffer advocated a change to the RAA to obtain a 24/7/365 staffing liability for all registrars.

I want this clearly understood. Changes to Consensus Policy only arise from the Consensus forming body. ICANN is not a Stakeholder in the ICANN. The opinions of the receptionist at Marina del Ray, General Counsel, CEO, and each Board member individually and collectively, including the Board Chair, have no authority, arise from no Stakeholder, and cannot affect Consensus Policy formation.

I appreciate the comments during the call by Liz, that some staff have domain specific expertise. However, no appeal to authority may be offered as a substitute for the Consensus Process of the Stakeholders in developing Consensus Policy. There are more than enough problems of accountability and transparency without adding Letters of Marque for individuals with very high opinions of their acumen and awareness, particularly those who can't tell a hawk from a handsaw.

Eric

* Communications to the then GNSO Council Chair functioning as the Interim Chair of the FastFlux PDP Working Group did not successfully convey the process issue represented here, and to the best of my recollection my problem statement was dismissed as "personality conflicts".

** It is possible there may exist a less accurate rapporteur than Mike Rodenbaugh, in theory.