ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [ncsg-policy] Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Voting Remedies Procedures Map and Abstention Notification Form--UPDATED

• To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ncsg-policy] Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Voting Remedies Procedures Map and Abstention Notification Form--UPDATED
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:28:35 -0700

Avri,

I share your concerns about this. Noncommercial GNSO counselors have traditionally taken different voting positions on issues - indeed NCUC had the record of the most diversity of GNSO votes of all 6 constituencies according the LSE report from a few years ago. This diversity of viewpoint among our counselors was something the LSE Report applauded and that noncommercial users at ICANN are very proud of. Surely staff is not trying to change our policy now and shoehorn us into a single unified official position on issues. That would hardly be appropriate or in the best interest of anyone. We have a diverse membership and the diversity of views of our members grows every day.

Thank you,
Robin

On Oct 21, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

Hi,

Pretty.

I still have an issue:  the meaning of 'establish voting position'.

I still believe that this phrase carries possibly the wrong implications. Since the voting position can be : vote as you think is best for the SG/C, or consult the absent Council member and decide together how to vote in the manner that you 2 conclude is best for the SG/C. E.g we have a consultation with the membership (those who wish to participate) a few days before every council meeting where the varied community viewpoints on an issue are discussed. The council members then take that input, discuss among themselves and the rest of the policy committee and each separately decide how to vote in the manner that based on their perceptions is what is best for the NCSG. This policy can't seem to preclude that.

We need a note that indicates that the definition of 'define voting positions is totally charter dependent.'

We cannot allow for this to mean the SG/Cs are forced to enforce some notion of SG/C voting discipline if that is not the SG/C way of doing things.

a.

On 21 Oct 2010, at 22:54, Ken Bour wrote:

To:      Chuck Gomes (GNSO Council Chair)
            GCOT Work Team

The topic of Voting Remedies (i.e. abstentions, absences, and vacancies) is currently Item #4 on the GNSO Council agenda scheduled for 28 October 2010 and Ray Fassett, GCOT Chair, has been invited to participate.

In preparation for this discussion, I wanted to inform you that I have made several improvements (outlined below) to both the Voting Remedies Visual Map and the online Abstention Notification Form based upon feedback received.

Visual Map (http://gnso.icann.org/council/visual-procedures-map- en.htm) 1) Changed title to “Voting Remedies: Abstentions, Absences, and Vacancies” 2) Removed a redundant step in the Planned Absence structure (per Chuck’s suggestion). 3) Added larger Email Icons to indicate where sample message contents are provided and located them to the right side of each block for consistency with the Note icons. 4) All of the pop-up text is now available to be copied/ pasted to simplify creating an Email message using the sample message contents. 5) Repositioned sections to enable the addition of flow arrows to make it easier to follow the procedure.

Abstention Notification Form (http://gnso.icann.org/node/14119)
1) Changed several field labels to include the word “Officer” to make clear who completes this form. 2) Reordered the fields based upon feedback (e.g. moved “Officer Email Address” to top section). 3) Added conditional logic to the form so that, once a particular voting remedy is selected, only the appropriate fields appear.

The above changes are intended to make the procedures map and the online form easier to understand, follow, and execute.

I thank you all for your constructive feedback in helping to make these tools more useful to the GNSO community. I also thank our responsive ICANN Web-Admin team for their flexibility and creativity in implementing the above design enhancements.

For those SGs and Constituencies that have yet to take advantage of the offer, Staff remains available to provide a tutorial on the new Voting Remedies including the procedures map and online form.

Ken Bour

----
Everything about this list: http://info.n4c.eu/sympa/info/ncsg-policy

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy