ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] Voting Remedies Procedures Map and Abstention Notification Form--UPDATED

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] Voting Remedies Procedures Map and Abstention Notification Form--UPDATED
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:53:22 -0400

Avri, et al.:

Below I have quoted excerpts from the GNSO Operating Procedures related to
establishing "an affirmative or negative voting position."   Please bear in
mind that the requirement to establish a voting position applies to only two
of the three remedies:  Voting Direction and Proxy.  The Temporary Alternate
remedy was added for situations when a voting position cannot be established
(for any reason).   When executing a Temporary Alternate remedy, a
definitive voting position is not required nor is the alternate obligated to
follow any specific direction.

As you may recall, the GCOT did amend the original draft language to provide
appointing organizations flexibility in creating their own internal
processes for developing a voting position.  The modifying phrase
"affirmative or negative" implies that a specific position has been
established for a particular measure/motion.   Additionally, the GCOT did
not amend the language that obligates the Councilor to follow the voting
position established.

Ken Bour
=======

>From Section 4.5.3(a):  Voting Direction

"The first remedy to be considered in avoiding the consequences of an
abstention is for the Councilor at issue to request specific voting
instructions in writing from Councilor's appointing organization.  The
Councilor would then be obligated to follow the voting instruction provided.
This remedy requires that the appointing organization establish an
affirmative or negative voting position, subject to provisions contained in
its Charter or Bylaws, on the applicable Council measure/motion."

>From Section 4.5.3(b):  Proxy

"The appointing organization must be able to establish an affirmative or
negative voting position, subject to provisions contained in its Charter or
Bylaws, on the applicable measure/motion for which one of its Councilors has
declared an intention to abstain.  The Councilor to whom the vote is
transferred shall exercise a vote in line with the appointing organization's
stated position."