ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

[gnso-osc] RE: [council] Proposed OSC Charter

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc] RE: [council] Proposed OSC Charter
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:13:46 -0500

Avri,

Please see my responses below.

Chuck

CG: What's a material change?  I think there are both minor edits and
changes that are more substantial.  The charter is not very long so a
quick read should allow people to determine whether they think there are
any material changes and more importantly whether they have any
concerns.  It's your call on the need for a vote. Maybe we should ask
Staff their oppinion based on Board recommendations.  The idea suggested
in the OSC was that we should minimize the time the Council has to spend
on this and I think that is one of the underlying intents of forming the
steering committees in the first place.  The most critical thing for the
Council to formally approve will be the implementation plans that are
produced by the work teams and approved by the steering committees.

> Also I see it does not include any milestones.  In any case,
> I think it would be reasonable to hold off any such vote
> until some milestones have been included.

CG: Because we decided to involve the work teams in development of the
milestones, delaying a vote until milestones have been included will
require some time.  For now, our most urgent tasks are to get the work
team charters in good enough draft shape so that they provide a good
overview of what the various team responsibilities will be and then to
form the work teams.  To accomplish those immediate goals, we need to at
least know that there are no significant objections to our proposed
charter.  As far as near term milestones, we are hoping to get the work
teams up and running in January.

> I do not, however, think that giving 3 days for Council
> members to object to any changes is necessarily sufficient
> for substantively modifying a SC charter.

CG: Did you see anything in the draft charter that would need more time?