ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] GCOT recommendations - SOI - adoption by October 31

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] GCOT recommendations - SOI - adoption by October 31
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:00:37 +0500

On 20 Oct 2010, at 17:39, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> [Gomes, Chuck]  That decision will be made on 28 Oct.  It will be a
> Council decision.

I understand that.  I was not trying to say it was anyone else's decision.

Nor was I trying to indicate that i should have any voice in this decision, if
that is what you inferred from my timerity for having an opinion on the issue.

Though of course I hope the council makes the decision in favor of starting the
standing committee immediately.

If it doesn't, i fear that we will have a long succession of things that need
to be fixed expeditiously and the PPSC and OSC will never be allowed to shut
down.  As you said, you have another one you want reviewed now.  At the last
GCOT meeting we almost congratulated ourselves on having finished our work for
the second time.   I sincerely hope that more work is not passed on to the
GCOT.  whether we do or not, should be qn OSC decision. Ie. if the council
decides to pass it back to the OSc, then the OSC must decide whether to pass it
on to the GCOT or do it itself.  that is another respect in which we followed
bad process, in that the GCOT took on the work with the OSC having discussed
and decided whether it should have.  As a member of the OSC, I would have
argued against it.

If you remember, when [PP,O]SC were first conceived, they were conceived as
standign committees, but the counci at that time objected to such a notion.

Oddly, I was in favor of the two of them becoming standing at that time.

At this point I realize i was wrong.

Some of the problem effects, as might have happened with the DOI issue, had the
PPSC's WGWT had not conceded to follow the OSC's GCOT lead, the effects of the
policies will be combinatorial between the two steering committees.  One
standing committee is the right decision - and to my mind the sooner we (I am
sorry, I mean you of the council) get started the better, so that the OSC and
PPSC can concentrate on finishing their work and closing as planned.

>  I personally think it makes more sense to defer the
> formation of the standing committee until the GNSO Improvement work
> teams have all completed their work and to use the steering committees
> in the meantime.  This is clearly another area where we disagree.

Not the first.
and neither the last.
I am certain.

a.