ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council procedures - avoiding abstention - proxy vote - approval by April 15

  • To: gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council procedures - avoiding abstention - proxy vote - approval by April 15
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:49:48 -0400

Hi,

I agree with Philip's interpretation.

The previous language was interpreted by some as forcing the NCSG, and any
other SG/C that may not habitually enforce voting discipline (I understand the
practice is not universal), to do so.  The form that was put out for proxy
made it obvious that it was intending that the SG/C have to give definitive
directions to the proxy holder - we got around this by asking the proxy voter
and the council member being proxied, how they wanted to vote and then telling
them to vote that way - but it was a bit awkward.

This language makes it clear that it is optional - SG/Cs that wish to enforce
proxy vote discipline are still free to do so.

I support this new language.

a.