ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

[gnso-osc] GNSO Council Proxy Procedures: Clarification

  • To: "'Philip Sheppard'" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council Proxy Procedures: Clarification
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 10:36:52 -0400

Philip:

I would like to clarify a point in your third bullet point and "Thus"
section.  Proxies can be used for circumstances of planned absence in
addition to conflicting situations.  The way it works is that, when a
Councilor plans to be absent, he/she declares an intention to voluntarily
abstain (i.e., no conflict need exist) on all upcoming motions and that
action brings the Proxy and Temporary Alternate remedies into play [see
Paragraph 3.8.1(a)(ii)].

Below is a brief synopsis of the three available voting remedies, as
currently approved, and how/when they might be applicable:

Voting Direction:  used for certain abstentions when being directed by the
appointing organization would obviate a conflicting situation that would
otherwise result in recusal.

Proxy:  used for incidental absence or abstention to transfer the vote to
another sitting Councilor (House NCA or within the SG/C).   A House NCA can
transfer proxy only to the Council NCA.

Temporary Alternate:  used for incidental absence, abstention, or vacancy
(including leave) when another SG/C Councilor is not available for proxy
(e.g., multiple absences) or the appointing organization wishes to
substitute someone (a non-Councilor) with special expertise/knowledge to act
for the absent or abstaining Councilor.  The Council NCA can become an
automatic Temporary Alternate for a House NCA in the circumstances of leave
of absence or vacancy.

I hope the above information helps to clarify the options available.

Ken Bour