ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposed agenda for next meeting on Tuesday 28 July at 18.00 UTC

  • To: <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposed agenda for next meeting on Tuesday 28 July at 18.00 UTC
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:20:21 -0400

Marika,

Thank you for leading the ICANN staff initiative to get this important
Working Group up and running. I believe I have read all of the "assigned"
reading since Sydney, and want to compliment staff on a well written issues
report.

In advance of tomorrow's call I did want to comment on one agenda item - the
election of a chair. Having participated in ICANN's second original Working
Group, Working Group B (1999-2000), one of my lessons learned was that some
issues have many sides to it, and there are times that having multiple
co-chairs may be a constructive way forward.  Now my view of a chair is that
it is a thankless administrative job, in which the chair has no more
voice/power than an individual working group participant,  just more
headaches. Therefore, having co-chairs achieves multiple goals: (1) splits
the headaches and work load; (2) provides for greater continuity since most
possible chairs have day jobs; and (3) should minimize the fears of capture
among the group.

Therefore perhaps we could just defer the issue of selecting a chair until
the group has a better idea of the group dynamics and financial/personal
motivation of each participant, and allow Alan to continue to serve as
Interim Chair if he does not object?

Now in doing my homework for tomorrow's call I actually went back to the
original RGP discussion back in 2002-2003 that talked about the harm
registrants/consumers were experiencing in connection with unintentional
domain name expiration. In the ICANN recommendation there was talk about a
two Stage implementation, Stage 1 where the registrant could recover a name
through the original registrant, and Stage 2 where the registrant could
choose his registrar, see
http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/bucharest/redemption-topic.htm.  While
Stage 1 was implemented, Stage 2 to my knowledge has never been implemented.

Here are some questions I think we need to be asking ourselves in this group
as we begin our work:

1)      Should the original registrant of a domain name retain any legal
rights once the original domain name term expires, such that he/she can
recover the domain through a registrar of his/her choice; or can a registrar
through contract supersede such rights to lock that domain name into the
original registrar?

2)      Does the group believe that the RGP should be a consensus policy
legally incorporated into ICANN accredited registrar and registry agreements
for the benefit of registrants;

3)      Should this "protection" flow down through the entire domain name
eco system, much like the terms of the UDRP, or should it only be binding on
registrars, thus leaving their resellers out of the loop?

Looking forward to tomorrow's call.

Best regards,

Michael