ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] When Resellers ARE Registrars

  • To: gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] When Resellers ARE Registrars
  • From: "Garth Bruen at KnujOn" <gbruen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:52:01 -0700

Hello all,

To follow up on the discussion from today's call I'd like to provide an
example of a so-called reseller that is likely a Registrar. The
company's name is "Acquire This Name, INC."

I think it is critical to discuss this because we are trying to develop
policy that protects consumers and this is one of many cases where full
information is not being presented to the consumer. It is doubly
important because the company in question deals in after-market expired
domains. The ordinary domain buyer would not know from the Acquire This
Name, INC. website with whom they were really doing business with.

This is just one of many cases we are working on. Details in attached
PDF, offered up for discussion.

-Garth