ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market

  • To: "'James M. Bladel'" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 18:48:01 -0400

James,

I am the proud registrant of DNWG.ORG which is sponsored by my registrar of
choice GoDaddy. I liked DNWG because I thought it could be cool blog site for
Domain Name Working Group policy wonks like myself. That name is set to
"expire" on Nov 20, 2009. Whether I tell my registrar to delete it or say
nothing GoDaddy will pay PIR a renewal fee on Nov 20, 2009. Now GoDaddy has
posted on their web site in a very open, transparent and predicable fashion
what I can expect to happen, Day 5 Notice; Day 12 Hold; Day 19 Redemption Fee;
Day 25 Auction begins; Day 42 Name deleted, see
http://help.godaddy.com/article/608.

Currently the DNWG.ORG exists in the PIR .ORG registry database because when I
registered this domain name through GoDaddy you did so on my behalf with the
reasonable expectation of payment (i.e. you had my credit card on file). Now if
I decide not to renew that domain name either intentionally or unintentionally
on Nov 21st that name will continue to exist in the PIR database as a result of
contract that I entered into, and which has been "extended" via the
auto-renewal practice.

Now let's say Bob Parson does something really outrageous that caused me to
decide to switch my service to another provide, because as we all know Bob
never does anything outrageous or controversial. After Nov 21st I have no
choice in who I can renew/extend/recover that domain name. Now you and I can
split hairs on whether this lack of choice is a permissive "limited
exclusivity" or monopolistic restraint of choice as original envisioned in the
Second Stage of the RGP.

I support openness, transparency, and choice in the marketplace on behalf of
registrants. These qualities do not waiver merely because a domain name has
expired. Somehow some registrars forget these principles when contractual
rights that were originally vested in the registrant provide that registrar or
an affiliate the ability to profit off that domain name through a value added
service. That is why I continue to advocate a Stage 2 as originally envision
where registrants have a choice in registrars, as opposed to today were they
have only one.

With regard to your Microsoft Office analogy, I do not think it is on all fours
with the current situation. I purchased my original version of Office 2000 from
Circuit City, when I wanted to upgrade(renew) that software I purchased the
Office 2007 version from either Costco or BestBuy. I was not required (or
beholden to renew the software application) with Circuit City. I think a
registry/software vendor has a legitimate interest in ensuring that customers
(current/future) have a choice in purchasing their product, and that no
vendor/registrar should be able to exert a monopoly ("limited exclusivity) in
that product/service offering.

Best regards,

Michael