ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:40:52 +0100

On 9 Sep 2009, at 23:48, Michael D. Palage wrote:

James,

I am the proud registrant of DNWG.ORG which is sponsored by my registrar of choice GoDaddy. I liked DNWG because I thought it could be cool blog site for Domain Name Working Group policy wonks like myself. That name is set to "expire" on Nov 20, 2009. Whether I tell my registrar to delete it or say nothing GoDaddy will pay PIR a renewal fee on Nov 20, 2009. Now GoDaddy has posted on their web site in a very open, transparent and predicable fashion what I can expect to happen, Day 5 Notice; Day 12 Hold; Day 19 Redemption Fee; Day 25 Auction begins; Day 42 Name deleted, see http://help.godaddy.com/article/608 .

Currently the DNWG.ORG exists in the PIR .ORG registry database because when I registered this domain name through GoDaddy you did so on my behalf with the reasonable expectation of payment (i.e. you had my credit card on file). Now if I decide not to renew that domain name either intentionally or unintentionally on Nov 21st that name will continue to exist in the PIR database as a result of contract that I entered into, and which has been "extended" via the auto-renewal practice.

Now let's say Bob Parson does something really outrageous that caused me to decide to switch my service to another provide, because as we all know Bob never does anything outrageous or controversial. After Nov 21st I have no choice in who I can renew/extend/recover that domain name. Now you and I can split hairs on whether this lack of choice is a permissive "limited exclusivity" or monopolistic restraint of choice as original envisioned in the Second Stage of the RGP.

So?

If you want the domain you should renew it or move it before the expiry date.

If the registrar wasn't sending you reminders in a timely fashion etc., then you would have some grounds for complaint, but I honestly cannot see why on earth you should have any right to change your supplier for a service that you obviously didn't want ...

Pre-expiry - sure

Post-expiry - um no.

I support openness, transparency, and choice in the marketplace on behalf of registrants. These qualities do not waiver merely because a domain name has expired.

If the domain has expired because you let it then you obviously don't want it any more

Expecting registrars or anyone else to start conferring special rights is unreasonable and I can't see how it would happen in any other industry

If I book into a hotel for 7 nights and then decide on the day I'm meant to be checking out to extend my stay I can't expect the hotel to give me the exact same room. I also wouldn't expect the hotel to move all my bags to one of their competitors down the street for me.

Why on earth would domains be any different?

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
http://www.blacknight.com/