ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:14:40 -0700

Mikey:

Good points, but I think the problem with using a charged term like
"monopoly" is that domain names are not commodities and not fungible. It
is the consumer's desire for a -particular- domain name that may limit
their choices, (and temporarily, as you mentioned).  But this does not
constrain choices in general, as there may be alternative names and
alternative providers (more or less desirable).

So, while a $10.00 desk lamp from Target is just fine, if I insist on a
particular antique Tiffany lamp from one of the boutiques in Le Claire,
my choices are limited.  The boutique does not control trade in lamps,
just the particular specimen I want.

And, since domain names are not tangible products, another applicable
model might be media distribution channels (movies studios and recording
labels).

But, while these are fascinating theoretical debates, (and I would love
to continue them in person sometime), it is increasingly off-topic for
this WG.  I propose we re-focus discussions on protecting registrants
form inadvertently losing the names they --already have--, rather than
focusing on name acquisition methods in the aftermarket.

Thanks--

J.