ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market

• To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:03:54 -0500

great discussion! i too am sorry to have missed the call (and to compound my delinquency, i haven't had time to listen to the MP3 yet either).

here are a few tidbits for conversation...

tidbit 1

a friend of mine used the following definition of "monopoly" in a recent blog post (on broadband, not domain names) which appeared in lots of places when i Googled the text:

"the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service."

we seem to be agreeing that there is a period in the domain-expiration cycle where registrars have exclusive control over the domain name -- so maybe we want to use that language rather than "monopoly"? it seems to me that it's almost inevitable that there will be such a period.

tidbit 2

if we presume that there's a period of exclusive-control, it seems to me that it might be useful to clearly describe;
        • what that period is
        • what the "rules of the road" are during that period
• whether those rules are theoretically sufficient to protect the interests of all parties
        • see how consistently those rules are being applied, and
• determine if anything needs to be done (clarify/strengthen/ publicize the rules, change the interval of exclusive control, etc.)

mikey

- - - - - - - - -
phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com
handle OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy