ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Whois Output from "Thin Registry"

  • To: gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Whois Output from "Thin Registry"
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:54:11 -0700

My personal opinion:

In reality the actual state of the registration is exactly what is
displayed in the Registrar AND Registry Whois. At the Registry the Whois
may correctly reflect that the domain has been auto-renewed for its
customer (the Registrar). At the Registrar or Reseller the Whois
correctly reflects that the domain has expired for its customer (the
Registrant). This is an issue of education more than anything else. The
Registrant is a customer of the Registrar or Reseller and must rely on
what the Registrant or Reseller are telling them to understand the true
state of their domain.

Third party Whois services are impossible to control. Registrants should
be working with their Registrar or Reseller and they need to be educated
to that effect. Trying to standardize what Registries do with
auto-renewal (or not as the case may be) conflicts with free market
development by restricting what Registries may decide to do to
differentiate themselves from their competitors. The confusion about
exipiration dates is due to a lack of understanding about how the system
works and who the customer actually is for each component part. Again,
eductation is the key.

Tim