ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] two real-world examples of PEDNR problems

  • To: "'James M. Bladel'" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] two real-world examples of PEDNR problems
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:44:42 -0800

Team,

I am not sure if you guys read the entire page.  The owner of the domain
responded in the blog string.  The domain never even expired. For SOME reason,
Moniker posted the domain up for auction and people were bidding up to $20K on
it.  The Registrant just happened upon seeing the domain offered for auction.
He contacted Moniker and it took them 2 days to take it down.  Within that time
frame the auction went as high as $20K.  Here is at least a link to some
evidence of the publicity.
http://domainnamewire.com/2010/01/14/snapnames-finally-hits-the-mark-in-showcase-auction/

MHB is affiliated with "TheDomains.com" and wrote the blog post that Mikey sent
us.  His angle is attacking the fact that a number of domains were showing up
for auction when the Registrant never let the domain expire nor intended the
domain to go to auction.

Now what does start to come in scope of PEDNER is back in 2004/2005.  The
domain at the time owned by K.A Tech somehow expired 12/22/04, it was picked up
in the drop by TopNames and then ownership transferred to Telepathy Inc. on
1/22/05.  I did not find any notices of sale at DNJournal, so it never made the
press.  In the course of a month, ownership changed hands on a 3 letter dot com
name. I am not saying anything bad happened here, but noting the fact that this
is the kind of scenario where Registrants can lose domain names
unintentionally, and ownership changes hand quickly without recovery to
original owner.  K.A. Tech owned the name since at least 2001 if not as long as
1996.

There is probably more to this onion to peel, as I only looked at this for
about 20 minutes.

I will dive in to the first case, and let you know if I find anything.

Thx. B

Berry A. Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
866.921.8891