ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] a modest attempt to draw the post-expiry flow-chart

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] a modest attempt to draw the post-expiry flow-chart
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:02:23 +0000

On 5 Feb 2010, at 18:05, Mike O'Connor wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:
>

>> On 5 Feb 2010, at 17:28, Mike O'Connor wrote:
>>>

>>> - i'd like to gently suggest that this process is perhaps pretty
>>> complicated for a normal person to navigate (imagine your small-business
>>> owning uncle, or a friend who's operating the web site of your neighborhood
>>> association, or a relative who's doing a blog).
>>>
>>> - i'd like to throw a "wish list" of ideas in front of you.  some of them
>>> are pretty easy, some are hard, and some are stupendously hard.  but this
>>> is the list that fell out as i (an ops guy) was doing the diagram and what
>>> the heck, a person gets to dream.
>>
>> As long as you know there's a difference between dreams and reality :)
>
> you know, i've had a pretty loose grip on reality for quite some time now.  i
> think it was my triple-major in college (drugs, sex, rock n'roll)
>

>> Any chance of you sending me / the list the wishlist in a text format? It's
>> proving impossible to copy / paste from that PDF :)
>
> oops.  i thought i was creating a text-readable PDF.  sorry about that.
> here's the list;
>
> •Mikey’s Wish List – easy stuff
>
> Originate renewal notices from a consistent/distinctive email address that is
> used for no other purpose (and remind registrants to white-list the address
> in spam filters)

For direct registrations under a registrar that shouldn't be an issue. How it's
handle by resellers will vary, but I assume they'd be using an email addy that
is in some way linked to them ..

> Establish minimum expiration-reminder schedule (pre and post-expiry)
> Provide consistent “service disruption” across registrars on expiration
> Always disrupt web service on expiration – triggers active/technical response
> Do not disrupt email on expiration – to aid in contacting registrant

That won't work

Technically it's impossible.

If the registrant registers AND hosts the domain with us, for example, we
could, hypothetically, do this. Stress on "hypothetically".

If the domain is using someone else's DNS, which is often the case, we wouldn't
have any real visibility on the email

ALSO

Email is linked to hosting of some kind.

If the registrant registers the domain at the same time as they buy the hosting
then both services will probably (though not always) expire at the same time.

Why would a provider continue giving service if they hadn't been paid for it?

> Provide consistent and informative domain-status flags across registries,
> registrars and TLDs

Do you mean in relation to WHOIS?

> Provide “plain language” versions of the various policy statements, with
> disclaimers that point to the “real deal” legal stuff
> Change confusingly-similar terms like “automatic renewal” vs “auto renew
> grace period”
>

> •Mikey’s Wish List – harder stuff
>
> Work to eliminate confusing registrar-slamming schemes

What do you mean?

> Establish minimum standards for registrar WHOIS information display (data
> elements, sequence, captions, consistency, availability, etc.)

Do you mean the format?

> Provide consistent minimum processes across registrars and TLDs to determine
> domain status
> Provide consistent notification/display of deletion, automatic-renewal,
> auto-renew grace-period and redemption grace-period policies on
> reseller/registrar web pages
> Provide consistent redemption grace-period intervals rather than leaving it
> up to provider discretion
> Provide consistent post-expiry implications when registrants elect not to
> automatically-renew domains and/or opt out of monetization of web addresses

What do you mean by "consistent"?

> •Mikey’s Wish List – really hard stuff
>
> Eliminate conflict of interest – registrar either generates revenue from
> renewal OR monetization/aftermarket-auction/drop-catching, not both

I can't see that being acceptable to be honest. I think, in many ways, what you
are hoping to achieve can be addressed in other manners without necessarily
disrupting business practices

> Offer a mechanism (perhaps a “token”?) during Pending-Delete that can be used
> by registrant to recover the name in the drop-catching/auction post-delete
> Shift all TLDs to thick-registry model to aid in normalizing WHOIS-based
> processes

I'd support that, though I suspect the registries might not. Apart from
anything to do with expiry it would do away with a lot of the issues related to
transfers

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection