ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] a modest attempt to draw the post-expiry flow-chart

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] a modest attempt to draw the post-expiry flow-chart
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:53:15 -0600

On Feb 5, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2010, at 18:05, Mike O'Connor wrote:

>>> As long as you know there's a difference between dreams and reality :)
>>
>> you know, i've had a pretty loose grip on reality for quite some time now.
>> i think it was my triple-major in college (drugs, sex, rock n'roll)
>>

>>> Any chance of you sending me / the list the wishlist in a text format? It's
>>> proving impossible to copy / paste from that PDF :)
>>
>> oops.  i thought i was creating a text-readable PDF.  sorry about that.
>> here's the list;
>>
>> •Mikey’s Wish List – easy stuff
>>
>> Originate renewal notices from a consistent/distinctive email address that
>> is used for no other purpose (and remind registrants to white-list the
>> address in spam filters)
>
> For direct registrations under a registrar that shouldn't be an issue. How
> it's handle by resellers will vary, but I assume they'd be using an email
> addy that is in some way linked to them ..

yah, me too.  one of the tricky bits here is what to do if the reseller goes
away (as happened to my friend).  in a way, it would be nice if the same
practice could be fostered at the reseller level, with the addition of some
gizmo that ensures that registrants get notices from the registrar if the
reseller's gone.  like i said -- a little tricky.  maybe *renewal* notices
*always* come from the registrar?  or maybe a "backup" renewal notice that
comes from one level up the chain (from the registrar in the case of reseller,
or from the registry if it's a registrar)?

>> Establish minimum expiration-reminder schedule (pre and post-expiry)
>> Provide consistent “service disruption” across registrars on expiration
>> Always disrupt web service on expiration – triggers active/technical response
>> Do not disrupt email on expiration – to aid in contacting registrant
>
> That won't work
>
> Technically it's impossible.
>
> If the registrant registers AND hosts the domain with us, for example, we
> could, hypothetically, do this. Stress on "hypothetically".
>
> If the domain is using someone else's DNS, which is often the case, we
> wouldn't have any real visibility on the email
>
> ALSO
>
> Email is linked to hosting of some kind.
>
> If the registrant registers the domain at the same time as they buy the
> hosting then both services will probably (though not always) expire at the
> same time.
>
> Why would a provider continue giving service if they hadn't been paid for it?

hm.  good points all.  could we narrow it?  dropping the web page is easy,
right?  preserving the email of the registrant is tricky.  clever ideas needed
here.  maybe validate the email address of the registrant and force it NOT to
be in the domain?  dunno -- a head scratcher...  i know that a key to the
puzzle is some mechanism to communicate with the registrant *after* expiry.

>> Provide consistent and informative domain-status flags across registries,
>> registrars and TLDs
>
> Do you mean in relation to WHOIS?

yeah -- this relates to our conversation on the IRTP call a few weeks ago where
we all agreed that the domain-status flags were pretty obtuse.  there's a
glimmer of hope in looking at the "extended" fields of the status flags in an
EPP registry...  a massive amount of coordination would be required between
registrars in thin registries where they're all running their own separate
WHOIS systems.  but maybe a standards-setting exercise could iron those out.

>> Provide “plain language” versions of the various policy statements, with
>> disclaimers that point to the “real deal” legal stuff
>> Change confusingly-similar terms like “automatic renewal” vs “auto renew
>> grace period”
>>

>> •Mikey’s Wish List – harder stuff
>>
>> Work to eliminate confusing registrar-slamming schemes
>
> What do you mean?

ah.  that one popped in because of the process diagram.  remember, our
"civilian" registrant has to determine whether the renewal notices they're
getting are even legitimate -- and it's pretty hard for them to tell sometimes.
 so i dropped this one in here with the intent of backing up a recommendation
that's coming out of the RAP working group to try to amp up the enforcement of
WHOIS data misuse, and also take a look at other alternatives with regard to
getting rid of slamming.

>> Establish minimum standards for registrar WHOIS information display (data
>> elements, sequence, captions, consistency, availability, etc.)
>
> Do you mean the format?

yeah.  right now there's lots of variation in the way that registrars display
WHOIS data.  some show it all, some don't.  some link to underlying registry
data, some don't.  the sequence and headers of the data differ.  it varies by
TLD.  it varies by whether there's a thick or thin registry.  it varies by port
(80 vs 43).  etc.  and etc.  so a consistent format would be great -- and,
would also help with transfers, methinks.

>> Provide consistent minimum processes across registrars and TLDs to determine
>> domain status
>> Provide consistent notification/display of deletion, automatic-renewal,
>> auto-renew grace-period and redemption grace-period policies on
>> reseller/registrar web pages
>> Provide consistent redemption grace-period intervals rather than leaving it
>> up to provider discretion
>> Provide consistent post-expiry implications when registrants elect not to
>> automatically-renew domains and/or opt out of monetization of web addresses
>
> What do you mean by "consistent"?

this little group of four wishes is really trying to highlight how much
variability there is in the process right now.  that variability is sometimes
to be heralded as a Good Thing (stoutly defending the diverse ecology of
competing providers notion here), but sometimes causes confusion and error.
there's a very delicate balancing act to be maintained, but i think it would be
neat if we could get a bit more predictability in the process.  specifically
relating to the last one -- the implications of "not automatically renewing" or
"opt in/out of monetization" choices by registrants have pretty different
implications across providers.  i think it would be great to have conventions
there.  "if you don't automatically renew, here's what you can expect" that's
similar across providers would be very helpful.

>> •Mikey’s Wish List – really hard stuff
>>
>> Eliminate conflict of interest – registrar either generates revenue from
>> renewal OR monetization/aftermarket-auction/drop-catching, not both
>
> I can't see that being acceptable to be honest. I think, in many ways, what
> you are hoping to achieve can be addressed in other manners without
> necessarily disrupting business practices

i'm mostly trying to plop that issue on the agenda -- i'm pretty flexible about
how we tackle it.  i think the main problem is this.  let's imagine that a
really good domain has slipped into AGRP.  how would you like to be the
customer service person coaching the customer through the recovery process,
knowing that your employer is going to make a boatload of money on the auction
if the customer DOESN'T renew the name.  i'd really like to creatively figure
out a way to eliminate that conflict.

>> Offer a mechanism (perhaps a “token”?) during Pending-Delete that can be
>> used by registrant to recover the name in the drop-catching/auction
>> post-delete
>> Shift all TLDs to thick-registry model to aid in normalizing WHOIS-based
>> processes
>
> I'd support that, though I suspect the registries might not. Apart from
> anything to do with expiry it would do away with a lot of the issues related
> to transfers

this is just one that keeps coming up over and over.  it would help a lot of
things on the "operational" side of things if we could get that infrastructure
in place.  there are certainly a lot of issues to puzzle through, including
trust issues, but i think it would be worth the effort.

thanks,

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356