ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 23:02:15 -0500

Other than one request for a clarification, here are my thoughts on the "easy" ones.

At 05/02/2010 01:05 PM, Mike O'Connor wrote:

?Mikey?s Wish List ­ easy stuff

Originate renewal notices from a consistent/distinctive email address that is used for no other purpose (and remind registrants to white-list the address in spam filters)

This has merit - if a registrar (or reseller) would tell the registrant where important notices will come from (and this includes changes to the registration agreement where the RAA requires notification), it would be a lot easier to blame the registrant if the messages are ignored.

Establish minimum expiration-reminder schedule (pre and post-expiry)

Agree. One could also question who they should come from. Some registries take responsibility for this.

Provide consistent ?service disruption? across registrars on expiration

I am not sure we need absolute consistency rather than "consistent-within-some-envelope" and definitely predictability for any given registration.

Always disrupt web service on expiration ­ triggers active/technical response

Agree, but see caveats below.

Do not disrupt email on expiration ­ to aid in contacting registrant

I understand the intent (that is, to allow messages to the RAE to get through, but I disagree with the solution. Ignoring the technical issues that Michele raised (which I only half agree with - there are technical solutions, but they are kludgy and probably prone to various problems), I do not think that this is a reasonable thing to do.

There are a very large number of domain names that are used ONLY for e-mail. Implementing this solution violates the intent of the previous one wish list item which could be translated as "make it bloody hard to ignore that the domain has expired - in-your-face solutions are better than subtle ones".

When a domain name is registered, there are no flags in WHOIS saying how the name is going to be used. As we go into more sophisticated situations of systems interacting with each other, often without human intermediaries, we need to get out of the mode that assumes that the web and port 80 is the only thing that matters.

A better solution would be to insist that at least one of the contact e-mail addresses must use a domain name different from the one being registered. With today's availability of free reliable addresses, there is little reason not to do this.

Provide consistent and informative domain-status flags across registries, registrars and TLDs

Hard to argue with. But once you say TLDs vs gTLDs, it is not likely to be more than a pipe-dream and certainly not easy.

Provide ?plain language? versions of the various policy statements, with disclaimers that point to the ?real deal? legal stuff

Generally agree. It is interesting looking at agreements that for any given registrar, they may have loose words for some things, and really specific tight words for others, even though the two are not very different to implement.

Change confusingly-similar terms like ?automatic renewal? vs ?auto renew grace period?

If we cannot come up with a better set, then that would be really bad news. How easy it is going to be to get them used universally is another matter.

?Mikey?s Wish List ­ harder stuff

Work to eliminate confusing registrar-slamming schemes
Establish minimum standards for registrar WHOIS information display (data elements, sequence, captions, consistency, availability, etc.) Provide consistent minimum processes across registrars and TLDs to determine domain status Provide consistent notification/display of deletion, automatic-renewal, auto-renew grace-period and redemption grace-period policies on reseller/registrar web pages Provide consistent redemption grace-period intervals rather than leaving it up to provider discretion

Do you mean Redemption Grace Period (as in the defined RGP) or a more generic meaning?

Provide consistent post-expiry implications when registrants elect not to automatically-renew domains and/or opt out of monetization of web addresses

?Mikey?s Wish List ­ really hard stuff

Eliminate conflict of interest ­ registrar either generates revenue from renewal OR monetization/aftermarket-auction/drop-catching, not both Offer a mechanism (perhaps a ?token??) during Pending-Delete that can be used by registrant to recover the name in the drop-catching/auction post-delete Shift all TLDs to thick-registry model to aid in normalizing WHOIS-based processes