ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 04:48:45 +0000

On 7 Feb 2010, at 04:02, Alan Greenberg wrote:

> Other than one request for a clarification, here are my thoughts on the
> "easy" ones.
>
> At 05/02/2010 01:05 PM, Mike O'Connor wrote:
>
>> .Mikey's Wish List  easy stuff
>>
>> Originate renewal notices from a consistent/distinctive email address that
>> is used for no other purpose (and remind registrants to white-list the
>> address in spam filters)
>
> This has merit - if a registrar (or reseller) would tell the registrant where
> important notices will come from (and this includes changes to the
> registration agreement where the RAA requires notification), it would be a
> lot easier to blame the registrant if the messages are ignored.
>
>> Establish minimum expiration-reminder schedule (pre and post-expiry)
>
> Agree. One could also question who they should come from. Some registries
> take responsibility for this.
>
>> Provide consistent "service disruption" across registrars on expiration
>
> I am not sure we need absolute consistency rather than
> "consistent-within-some-envelope" and definitely predictability for any given
> registration.
>
>> Always disrupt web service on expiration  triggers active/technical response
>
> Agree, but see caveats below.
>
>> Do not disrupt email on expiration  to aid in contacting registrant
>
> I understand the intent (that is, to allow messages to the RAE to get
> through, but I disagree with the solution. Ignoring the technical issues that
> Michele raised (which I only half agree with - there are technical solutions,
> but they are kludgy and probably prone to various problems), I do not think
> that this is a reasonable thing to do.
>
> There are a very large number of domain names that are used ONLY for e-mail.
> Implementing this solution violates the intent of the previous one wish list
> item which could be translated as "make it bloody hard to ignore that the
> domain has expired - in-your-face solutions are better than subtle ones".
>
> When a domain name is registered, there are no flags in WHOIS saying how the
> name is going to be used. As we go into more sophisticated situations of
> systems interacting with each other, often without human intermediaries, we
> need to get out of the mode that assumes that the web and port 80 is the only
> thing that matters.

Totally agreed, but there's no way for anyone to really know what a domain is
going to be used for either ...

> A better solution would be to insist that at least one of the contact e-mail
> addresses must use a domain name different from the one being registered.
> With today's availability of free reliable addresses, there is little reason
> not to do this.

The problem with that is that people tend to not check the accounts either

We get complaints from people who expected us to "magically" know that they had
either:
- changed their email address

OR

- were using a specific email address which they'd setup with us

Of course they didn't actually tell us that they'd done either of course ..

>> Provide consistent and informative domain-status flags across registries,
>> registrars and TLDs
>
> Hard to argue with. But once you say TLDs vs gTLDs, it is not likely to be
> more than a pipe-dream and certainly not easy.

In order to preserve sanity gTLDs only please

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions