ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] E-mail continuing to work post-expiration

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] E-mail continuing to work post-expiration
  • From: Sivasubramanian Muthusamy <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:20:38 +0530

Dear Alan,

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Alan Greenberg
<alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> This is a question to Siva:
>
> Quest 10 - Post-expiration e-mail to the expired domain
>
> You are advocating that to the extent possible, e-mail continue to function
> post-expiration. My question is assuming that your domain has expired, you
> only use it for e-mail, and you have not renewed it. Perhaps you (someone
> who is responsible for renewing) will suddenly wake up and renew. But the
> chances are good that the messages are going somewhere where no one is
> reading the mail. So if this is the case,

> stopping mail from working may be the ONLY way that the user realizes there
> is a problem.

That is very strange for a rationale. If the tenant is forgetful about his
rent deadlines, and happens not to read his mail for a while, would you give
him a violent jolt? - lock him in or lock him out or set fire to his home
just to make him realize that there is a problem that is otherwise going
unheeded?

> If it is not stopped, it WILL stop once the domain is deleted or bought by
> someone else, and then there will not be any way to get it back.

This is more about the situation where the registrant eventually renews his
domain name but finds his mail box emptied, finds that messages into his
mailboxes for the past few weeks bounced. (This is typically what used to
happen in those days when hotmail or yahoo completely diabled the 2 MB
mailboxes of those users who haven't logged in for 30 days at a stretch)

> Is it really better to keep the e-mail working in cases like this?

Yes it is.

Sivasubramanian M