ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] Items left for future discussion last week

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Items left for future discussion last week
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 01:40:16 -0400

There were a number of items left for e-mail discussion last week. Since I did not have the time to start the discussion on e-mail, I would like to take some time during today's meeting to discuss them. The following are my initial suggestions for addressing the issues.

Quest 5 - details of how notice are sent

There was general agreement that we should not transmission methods such as Twitter or even SMS in the RAA. Currently, there is NO requirement to use any method (even e-mail). Carrier pigeon would suffice. Do we need to be specific. If not, how do we ensure that the registrar picks a "satisfactory" notification method.

Our challenge here is not to pick the method, but to phrase the question so that answers are meaningful.

Quest 9 - Post expiration Web intercept
=======================================

The question arose about what registrars currently do when the intercept post-expiration web traffic. Specifically, do they "typically" intercept *.domain.tld, that is, all subdomains?

We discussed that stopping domains from working soon after expiration should not be required is registrar was "in contact" with the registrant. We need a way to define "in contact".

Quest 15 - Transfer during ARGP

This is my attempt to craft a question.

Currently a registrar is required to transfer a domain during the post-expiration period if such a transfer is requested by the registrant (with some very specific exceptions). However, due to various registrar practices, it may be impractical or impossible for the RAE to make such a request during the post-expiration period and there is no current policy that requires a registrar to allow such a request to be made.

Option a) Require that a registrar allow the RAE to request a transfer during the post-expiration period.

Option b) Best practice

Option c) Status quo

General
=======

What is the "reasonable" number of hours/days that provides some grace to the registrar but stops normal functioning within a reasonable amount of time?