ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Additional proposed recommendations

  • To: Ron Wickersham <rjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Additional proposed recommendations
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:16:02 -0500

Thanks Ron, for this careful review.  A few replies/comments below.

At 10/11/2010 12:50 AM, Ron Wickersham wrote:

> =     All non-web services must cease to function within 3-5 days after
> expiration. [Exceptions allowed]

i would suggest specifying a fixed number rather than a range, and would
substitute "within 5 days" for "within 3-5 days".

Sorry, my notation was not clear. What I meant was that the recommended policy should specify a particular number of days (3 or 4 or 5) but I wasn't sure what it should be.

> =     If registrar allows any web access to the domain name after the
> "disable" date, the page shown must explicitly say that the domain has
> expired and give instructions to the RAE on how to recover the domain.

suggest that the wording be "If registrar provides any web..." since
this only occurs when the registrant has a hosting agreement with the
registrar/provider.   when hosting is separate, removing the DNS delegation
in the root servers makes the registrant's own server or separately
contracted server unreachable after DNS caches expire.

I am not sure hat is accurate. Typically now, if the RAE is using a DNS (and web service) other than the registrar, the registrar changes the root zone entry to point to their own DNS and splash page. This meets the criteria of "allows web access". But in any case, this wording would surely have to be cleaned up.

> =     The price charged for post-expiration recovery must be explicitly
> stated in the registration agreement or on the Registrar's web site (if any).
> This price must also be provided to the RAE at registration time and when
> pre-and post-expiration renewal notices are provided. <Rationale: This is
> comparable to the current requirement regarding RGP redemption pricing.>

may i suggest "or" be repaced with "and".

Yes, that is surely what I meant to say!  ;-)

Alan