ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Additional proposed recommendations

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Additional proposed recommendations
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 21:32:42 +0000

On 12 Nov 2010, at 17:11, Alan Greenberg wrote:

> Michele, perhaps this is a new direction in policy, although I suspect there
> are other examples if we look for them. Regardless, the concept of
> "exceptions" was to address the regular comments from registrars that
> "one-size-fits-all" solutions will generate real operational and business
> problems.
>
> As a simple example, consider the case of the Brazilian registrar that didn't
> want to darken/redirect traffic soon after expiration. He said they would
> ultimately do that if other means of waking up the registrant did not work,
> but first they wanted to be able to take those other means. So we are
> certainly not going to mandate by policy that you every registrar smakes
> phone calls or sends registered letters to alert the registrant, but if
> someone wants to do that instead of darkening/redirecting the domain, the
> exception process will allow them to do that. It would not give them an
> exception from the intent of the policy, but from the particular
> implementation prescribed as the default. A completely impractical and
> unwieldy alternative would be for the policy to list 10 (or whatever)
> different method of achieving the end. But no one wants to do that, nor would
> it be effective.

Alan

While I understand what you are trying to do with this I don't see it being
workable, which is why I do not support it.
The other option is to choose a baseline and let registrars choose to exceed
that baseline depending on their own situation / business model / customer base
etc etc

I made other comments on your post, but I think you only saw the first
paragraph :)

Regards

Michele

> [...]
>> > process, or perhaps even the same panel) and shall be acted upon in a
>> > timely manner by ICANN.
>>
>> No.
>>

>> > Consensus Policy - Registries
>> >
>> > =     All unsponsored gTLD Registries shall offer the RGP. For currently
>> > existing gTLDs that do not currently offer the RGP, a transition period
>> > shall be allowed. All new gTLDs must offer the RGP. There could be an
>> > automatic exemption for TLDs that do not sell domains at all (what has
>> > been referred to in the VI group as SRSU).
>> >
>> > =     Modify WHOIS to clearly indicate whether a domain has been renewed
>> > from a registrant:registrar point of view. <With caveat as noted above.>
>> >

>> > Registrar Best Practices
>> >
>> > This could perhaps be implemented in one of two ways.
>> >
>> > a. The Registrar community can develop these Best Practices including some
>> > methodology which will give registrars an incentive to implement them if
>> > applicable.  or
>>
>> Why would we give ourselves incentives?
>>
>> Sorry - I don't follow that
>>

>> > b. ICANN can develop these Best Practices and provide a financial
>> > incentive to registrars who follow them.
>> >
>> > These are not meant to be verbatim Best Practices but will serve as a
>> > basis for their full development.
>> >
>> > =     Issue a warning if contact addresses use the domain being registered
>> > / renewed / updated.
>>
>> Technically difficult if not impossible to implement
>> >
>> > =     Expiration-related provisions of registration agreement clear and
>> > understandable by a non-lawyer, non-domain-professional.
>> >
>> > =     Provide notification of impact of not having sufficient accurate
>> > contact information at time of registration, renewal, ICANN-mandated Whois
>> > update notice. Require positive acknowledgement if via web.
>>
>> And if they don't acknowledge it what then?
>>

>> > =     Request at least two different modes of contact information
>> > (example: e-mail and SMS) with explanation why two are needed.
>>
>> Technically problematic and impossible to implement across all registrars
>> and other channels
>>

>> > Other issues to consider:
>> >
>> > =     Renaming the Autorenew Grace Period to make it clear that it is not
>> > the Automatic Renewal option offered by some Registrars to registrants.
>> >

>> Mr Michele Neylon
>> Blacknight Solutions
>> Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
>> ICANN Accredited Registrar
>> http://www.blacknight.com/
>> http://blog.blacknight.com/
>> http://blacknight.mobi/
>> http://mneylon.tel
>> Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
>> US: 213-233-1612
>> UK: 0844 484 9361
>> Locall: 1850 929 929
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/mneylon
>>
>> PS: Check out our latest offers on domains & hosting: http://domainoffers.me/
>> Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd, Unit 12A,Barrowside Business Park,Sleaty
>> Road,Graiguecullen,Carlow,Ireland  Company No.: 370845

Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
Fax. +353 (0) 1 4811 763