ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Chat from today's call Transfers and RGP

  • To: "'Alan Greenberg'" <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, "'PEDNR'" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Chat from today's call Transfers and RGP
  • From: "Michael Young" <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:33:37 -0500

Hi all,

I'd like to address the subject of transfers during the RGP process.  Some
of you know who I am and that I've been building registry systems for about
10 years from now.  I've founded and managed all forms of operational and
development groups, as well as run product development/product management
over those years.  Before that I built highly available systems for brokers
and banks, founding and running their technology groups. I am not a lawyer,
but I work with them every day in the practical execution of policy and
regulatory requirements.

I point all this out because I believe I have some credibility in saying
that from a point of operational practicality,  restoring a domain and
transferring a domain should be two separate actions.  Why? A successful
transfer involves cooperative activity between two registrars on a
non-expired domain.  This is why a domain is restored to a non-expired state
during RGP process, so that regular registry events such as transfers can
continue.

Without the cooperation of the Registrar of record, recovering a domain
during RGP or transferring one is not feasible. When a registry restores a
domain following a request to do so by the registrar of record, it restores
that domain to the state it was in before the name was deleted.  That state
is often not reflective of the original registrant of record.  Contact
information is often changed following expiration prior to RGP.
Additionally the registrar can and likely has updated the authinfo code (the
passphrase required for a requesting registrar to initiate a transfer).

 Allowing transfers during an RGP restore would have to include the
cooperation of the registrar on record unless ordered by an authority.  The
registrar is the one that has to process the Restore command.  To allow an
irrefutable  transfer command from another registrar, without first a
restore command during RGP, is paramount to actively removing the
responsibility of that domain from the existing registrar on record without
due process.  Domains in dispute have UDRP (UDRRP) and other means through
local laws, regulations, and Court orders to insight changes of the
registrar of record.    If a registrar is such ordered, they can trigger the
restore command and pass the authinfo code to whomever the relevant
authority has authorized to take control of the domain - this will allow the
winning party to proceed with a transfer request.  All this is supported
with EXISTING functionality and processes.

I'm afraid I fail to see what allowing transfers during RGP solves, or what
benefits it offers.  It is a false assumption that a transfer can be
initiated during RGP to bypass the control of the registrar of record
without the support of due process.  If due process is applied to order a
change of the registrar of record, the existing functionality can currently
support that order.

With the above in mind, transfers during RGP are out of scope for this PDP.

Having said all that, I remain open to hearing any benefits that can be
practically applied that I may have missed or overlooked.

Sincerely,

Michael Young