ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Draft Motion for GNSO

• To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Draft Motion for GNSO
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:32:05 -0400

Thanks Mikey. Sage words.

The motion was being proposed not for formal Council action (since we did not publish our report in time for that) but for preliminary discussion. There is no real need to have it on the table for the Singapore meeting, so perhaps we need to take a deep breath and not rush.

Alan

At 14/06/2011 11:15 AM, Mike O'Connor wrote:
hi all,

having just dragged the poor IRTP WG through this discussion, let me offer the strong suggestion that we not rush through this motion. none of us really focused on a couple of key issues in the motion until we looked at in on the call and realized that there were some subtle but substantive problems with the way the motion was worded.

my preference would be that we review the motion on a call -- but if that can't happen then let me say this

TAKE A HARD LOOK AT THIS MOTION PEEPUL!!

we owe it to ourselves and all the work that we've done as a group to make sure that this motion is absolutely right BEFORE it is made. we're in an awkward position with IRTP because the motion has already been made and changes are now outside of the control of the working group.

mikey

On Jun 14, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Alan Greenberg wrote:

> I am attaching the motion which Marika drafted. She passed it by me and after a cursory look at it said it was ok. On further consideration, I see that I did not look at it carefully enough.
>
> Specifically, I did not notice that the motion divided the Recommendations into several groups, only one of which is to be sent to the Board for their approval.
>
> I strongly feel that the entire set of recommendations should be passed to the Board.
>
> Recommendation 17 (Registrars must point to new education material) in particular *MUST* go to the Board as it was the intent that this become part of the RAA, just as the current Registrant Rights and Responsibilities document was included in the last RAA revision.
>
> Recommendation 16 (develop education material) and 18 (compliance follow-up and reporting) request ICANN Staff action, and the should have the weight of the Board accepting them to ensure that the work is funded and done.
>
> And I believe that for consistency, Recommendations 10, 11 and 12 (Best Practices) should go to the Board as well, although that is of less import.
>
> Alan<Motion-Draft.pdf>

- - - - - - - - -
phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com
handle  OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy