ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] stepping back for a while...

  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] stepping back for a while...
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:39:06 +0800

hi all,

this is a quick note to let people know that i'm resigning from all ICANN
working groups effective at close of business tomorrow, Thursday.  the reason
for the goofy timing is because i'm on deck to run a DSSA meeting tomorrow
morning and i'm pretty sure my fellow co-chairs would kill me if i left them
high and dry like that.

the other nice thing about this timing is that it wraps up the "Launch" phase
of the DSSA effort and also coincides with the end of my commitment to serve as
the interim GNSO co-chair to that working group (i volunteered to serve through
the first 3 meetings of the group in order to give people time to get to know
each other better before selecting their "real" GNSO co-chair).

basically the equation kinda looks like this.  i get to spend hundreds, maybe
thousands, of hours working on deliverables that are provided to a Council that
can then selectively pick and choose to approve/rewrite portions of our work
and forward the stuff they like on to the Board.  oh, and i get to spend
thousands of dollars of family lunch-money to get to the meetings to watch this
happen.  can you spell "self-funded volunteer professional staff?"

but wait, there's more…  let's not forget the perfect adherence to the
bottom-up policy process that happened during the VI working group.  in that
case the pain ranged through the GNSO all the way up to the Board.  yum!

i know, i know.  the policy points that are causing me to boil over *today* are
in fact incredibly minor.  ask anybody in the IRTP working group, or the BC
about those.  that's not why i'm so grouchy.  it's the pattern in the way in
which policy outcome are arrived at that frosts me.  either working-groups are
the place in the bottom-up process where policy gets formulated…  or not.
looks like "not" from here.  not being too smart, it took me three or four
times through this to finally get the message.  kinda like having your hair on
fire and putting it out with a hammer.

fortunately, i'm trained now.

there's an old joke that might bear repeating in this circumstance.  Descartes
walks into a bar.  the bartender asks "the usual, sir?"  Descartes replies "i
think not" and disappears.

so i think i'll disappear, at least for a while.  a little breather.  on the
plus side of the ledger, i've made a boatload of ICANN friends and, through the
miracle of Facebook, i hope you'll stay in touch.  and i hope to share a glass
with some of you this evening at the Gala.

i'm still a huge fan of ICANN and what we do.  it's just a little too expensive
(financially and emotionally) for me to stay in the game right now.

thanks!

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356