ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] PEDNR Recommendations 16, 17

  • To: Berry Cobb <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] PEDNR Recommendations 16, 17
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:04:57 -0400

Berry, thanks for starting this thread. My comments embedded below.

At 27/06/2011 03:03 PM, Berry Cobb wrote:
I guess you can say Recommendation #16 is complete (to a certain degree).

A pretty low degree if I am any judge. At least based on my expectations.

A footnote to the Registrant Rights & Responsibilities, just posted by ICANN today, references the gTLD lifecycle.
<http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/registrant-rights-responsibilities-en.htm>http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/registrant-rights-responsibilities-en.htm
http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm (footnote #1)

I understand that the PEDNR recommendations are not consensus policy, because the Council has yet to vote and of course implement.

No, it is not Consensus Policy until Council approves, the Board approves it, and there is an acceptable implementation with reasonable target dates. That is still a long way off.

Despite this, I was under the impression that no Working Group member was pleased with the accuracy and representation of this the gTLD lifecycle diagram. I cannot speak for other members, but I certainly do not support it. Plus, my worst fears are being realized by ICANN promoting this diagram and the conundrum I predicted is starting to materialize. If I recall correctly during WG deliberations there was a lack of support for any specific recommendation that a process diagram outlining the Expiration process be created.

I think that is accurate. There was some discussion that we needed a diagram, but there was pretty much agreement that THIS diagram was not the one. I find it unfortunate that this one was posted at this time.

No doubt if PEDNR recommendations are adopted, then this diagram becomes invalid. My question back to the WG, absent any CP on PEDNR recommendations, is should ICANN & the Community even advertise this gTLD lifecycle diagram to begin with?

As noted above, I agree that posting this one which will at best, confuse, was a bad idea.

That being said, there does seem to be some desire for *A* diagram, and once Council approves our recommendations, perhaps some of us who are interested might start trying to put together something that is useful (I have no pre-conceived notions of exactly what that would be).

I look forward to hearing responses.  Thanks.

As a side note?.. The RtRRof2009RAA makes for some great bedtime reading. I am not familiar with the project plan for rolling out this material, but I hope there is a more exciting platform for Registrants to digest this information. Else, we may encounter the same results with Rt reading of Registrants Agreements, TOCs, etc?

Well, we have explicitly said that the info that is posted as a result of our PDP be created with our help. Let's hope we can all be more successful than this attempt.

Alan

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx