ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

RE: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] RE: The agenda

  • To: Eduardo Diaz <eduardodiazrivera@xxxxxxxxx>, "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] RE: The agenda
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:30:39 +0000

I agree with Jordan on this.  First of all, it is not the DT's task to define
policy or implementation.  Second, if we require the WG to do that, that might
doom the WG to failure.  As staff pointed out very well in the Framework paper,
it will likely be very hard to draw a bright line between policy and
implementation.  I don't have any problem with the WG spending a little time on
this but I think it should be limited.  My personal guess is that the best that
may be achievable will be some guidelines rather than clear definitions.  It
would be a shame if the work got bogged down in trying to agree on clear
definitions and the work of developing  improvement recommendations to
processes to deal with policy and implementation was neglected.

Chuck