ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter

• To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, Holly Raiche <h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:32:24 -0400

I have been overly pre-occupied on other matters over the last few days, so I am opening a new thread here with some trepidation. Perhaps this has already been thrashed over and is cast in concrete. I hope not.

The prescribed Rec 2 reads:

2. A process for providing GNSO "Policy Guidance", including criteria for when it would be appropriate to use such a process instead of a GNSO Policy Development Process;

This makes it sound as if "Policy Guidance" (whatever that is), but it sounds far weaker than "policy development" (note the lower case p and d). The current Bylaws explicitly allow the GNSO to use methods other than the PDP for create policy that is not meant to be a Consensus Policy.

I would suggest that #2 be less proscriptive and read:

2. A process for developing gTLD policy, perhaps in the form of "Policy Guidance", including criteria for when it would be appropriate to use such a process instead of a GNSO Policy Development Process;

That makes it clear that we are not intending to create a "Policy Guidance" process that is the sole option to a PDP, which would reduce the flexibility of the GNSO over what is allowed today. And incidentally, a flexibility which was very explicitly included in the Bylaws by Jeff's PDP Drafting Team.

Alan

At 02/07/2013 11:13 AM, Marika Konings wrote:
Per Holly's email, please find attached an updated version of the charter, incorporating the edits as proposed by Holly as well as a revised motion for your review. Please use these versions for any further edits / comments you may have.

Thanks,

Marika

From: Holly Raiche <<mailto:h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday 2 July 2013 16:49
To: "<mailto:gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <<mailto:gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Marika Konings <<mailto:marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter

Hi Everyone

In the interests of my sleep, I am making an executive decision to adopt Chuck's wording of question 4 (based on the reasoning that has been expressed), as follows: Under what circumstances, if any, may the GNSO Council make recommendations or state positions to the Board as a representative of the GNSO as a whole?

The other suggestion I will accept is the suggestion to amend the motion (made by Chuck) giving a time line of 7 days for a response.

Marika - would you please make those two changes.

That done, we still do not need the next call (and I can sleep)

Thanks

Holly

On 02/07/2013, at 10:54 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

The reason I added the last qualification is because of what Mikey said in his response to my suggested wording: The Board is in the habit of asking the GNSO Council for advice with a short deadline and then treating it as a broader GNSO position. I think that is inappropriate on the part of the Board but the reality is that it happens.

At the same, time I wouldn't object if that qualifier was deleted as Wolf suggests.

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: <mailto:owner-gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>owner-gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of WUKnoben
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:05 AM
To: Holly Raiche; <mailto:gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Marika Konings

Good morning!

I'm fine with Chuck's rewording except for the last part "... as a representative of the GNSO as a whole?".

I'm convinced that a discussion about the role of the council vs (and of) the GNSO is necessary and urgent but I wonder whether this debate may overload the WG mandate.
It should definitely be discussed during the coming GNSO review.

My suggestion to question 4: "Under what circumstances, if any, may the GNSO Council make recommendations or state positions to the Board?"

Nevertheless I would join any wording which makes early mornings in Down Under more convenient :-)

Best regards

Wolf-Ulrich

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:50 AM
To: <mailto:gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Marika Konings

Folks

If there is one thing I do NOT want to do, it is have another 5.00am meeting in two days time (particularly since I have a 1.00am call that morning!)

SOOooo

From what I have gathered from the emails, there are really only two changes to the charter that Marika sent out (and thank you Marika for the very quick turn around)

The first is really wording - first spotted by Eduardo and then cleaned up a bit

The other was question 4 - and from the emails, I think people are happy to go with ChucK's rewording of it.

I have incorporated those changes only into a clean copy - and what I want from everyone is either confirmation that this is what can go forward, or not (and if not, please, what do you want changed - with proposed wording - and why) Otherwise, if I don't hear from you, this is what we proceed with

And thank you one and all for your time, diligence and patience

Holly

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy