ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, Holly Raiche <h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:32:24 -0400

I have been overly pre-occupied on other matters over the last few days, so I am opening a new thread here with some trepidation. Perhaps this has already been thrashed over and is cast in concrete. I hope not.

The prescribed Rec 2 reads:

2. A process for providing GNSO "Policy Guidance", including criteria for when it would be appropriate to use such a process instead of a GNSO Policy Development Process;

This makes it sound as if "Policy Guidance" (whatever that is), but it sounds far weaker than "policy development" (note the lower case p and d). The current Bylaws explicitly allow the GNSO to use methods other than the PDP for create policy that is not meant to be a Consensus Policy.

I would suggest that #2 be less proscriptive and read:

2. A process for developing gTLD policy, perhaps in the form of "Policy Guidance", including criteria for when it would be appropriate to use such a process instead of a GNSO Policy Development Process;

That makes it clear that we are not intending to create a "Policy Guidance" process that is the sole option to a PDP, which would reduce the flexibility of the GNSO over what is allowed today. And incidentally, a flexibility which was very explicitly included in the Bylaws by Jeff's PDP Drafting Team.

Alan